New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biesen Semi-Inlets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just curious, I have never seen anything on here about the Biesen semi-inletted stocks that they offer. Has anybody tried them? And how is the wood in relation to the different price points on their website?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago

I am working on one right now. But it was from wood that I sent to Roger to inlet for me rather than from wood they supplied.

I have no complaints about the job Roger did, both in the quality of his work or in the time it took for it to get done. I think all in all it was about 3 weeks from the time the blank was sent to him.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i have a piece of my own wood there right now. i am waiting with baited breath to get it back. i saw lots of their stock, most of it looked very nice. not sure how much was customer vs. stock, per say, but they sure do have some fantastic guns in the building.

3 week turn around, huh? maybe i should call them... living in spokane and being able to see the operation and talk at length with roger was a lot of fun! super guys, for sure!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I got a semi-inletted stock back last week from Roger. I supplied the blank. He was the only smith I could locate with the pattern I needed (magnum Mauser, British express-style).

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006

Could you post pictures of the stock?
Thanks

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

I'll second J Bennett's request.

Is this stock slated for your Burgess modified cz550?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
James & Dave, I'll post a pic when I get back in town. It's for a Brevex magnum 510Wells I've had for awhile that I am refurbishing. The Burgess CZ550 is still in the safe in the planning stage.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sorry about poor pic quality. I had him leave lots on the butt for 1-1.5" drop at heel:

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's going to make a nice stock Forrest! Is it going to be used for that Burgess CZ I've been coveting for the last year? cheers

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
No Terry, Brevex goes in this one (from Chiron). The other Denli blank (not yours) will be used for the Burgess CZ, if I ever get around to it.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I ever get around to it.

Do we need to talk? Wink

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006

Thanks for posting pictures.
What does the inleting look like? The outside looks a little rough around the grip area.

James

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Love the blank. That rifle is going to be great when completed! Smiler

Please keep us updated as your project moves along.

And git goin' on that Burgess cz550! Big Grin

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
J Bennett: The outside looks a little rough around the grip area.

James, it is.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
J Bennett: The outside looks a little rough around the grip area.

James, it is.

These are what rough turned stocks look like. Lot's of divits and high spots. There is a fine looking stock in there, you just have to dig it out.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 10-12 pantographed blanks I bought from Al Beisen. Most of them were made into custom rifles in the Beisen style. All of them were for pre-64 model 70 actions. All of them in classic style. They are a perfect blend of iron sight/scope sight configuration. I have one that Al told me was of Tessier Walnut that he turned over 20 years ago(purchased 15 years ago) and hard as hell waiting for a perfect barrelled action to go into it. I also think I have two others for future projects. They were the best investment I made on turned wood.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

That is a very nice blank. going to make a nice gun when you get it finished.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006

Thanks for the reply. That is a beautiful stock.
Please keep us updated.

TC1

I know what a rough turned blank is. I have been using them for 30 years. The reason that I asked the question is the fact that I have not seen or used one of Rogers stocks. As far as the outside finish, that is no problem. I have had stocks that was excellent on the outside and on the inside looked like they had been inletted with a chainsaw and hatchet. Roger's inletted blanks are cheap by todays standards. I know his finished work is top class. I was just curious about the inletting quality.

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBennett

If you have been buying semi inlets for 30 years then you already know that due to the variations on the exact size of the bottom metal you will sometimes get a semil inlet that has voids in it.

I think that no matter who you use if you want a perfect semi inlet you have to send the person your bottom metal and have it checked against the pattern stock. If there is a probelm the inletter can throw a little bondo on the pattern to fix the problem.

That is what happened with this stock I am working on. Roger has a patter for FN Mauser but my bottom metal was Mark X. the exact length of the two bottom metals is different. So I had a little tiny gap on the front part of my bottom metal. NOT ROGER'S FAULT. I repeat NOT ROGER'S FAULT. And it will easily be fixed by cutting a few slivers of wood of the waste end of the buttstock and glassing them into the voids. Nobody will every know the difference.

The point being, whether you have been doing this stuff a short time such as myself, or 30 years such as yourself, the only way I can see to get a perfet semi inlet is to have YOUR OWN pattern stock that you glass bed your metal work into and then you send that pattern stock to the inletter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF

I understand what you are saying. As for your stock you can add wood as you stated or weld the front of your guard and shape to fit your stock.
Again to the point of my question. When I order a semi inlet I want to know if there is enough wood that I can inlet 100% without gaps. I am not looking for a perfect fit with no work.
All machines and operators do not operate on the same skill level!
As for fla3006 this is the only person that had a pattern that he wanted. In this case I would research the quality of his or hers inletting. If quality was high and the pattern was correct I would order it as is. If quality was poor I would order it with extra wood and 1/2 inch barrel channel.
To my knowledge Roger does not have a blank pattern that I am interested in. That may change next week. I dont know. I am just interested in the quality of his inletting work for my own information.

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I order a semi inlet I want to know if there is enough wood that I can inlet 100% without gaps. I am not looking for a perfect fit with no work.

Once again, the only way you are going to know that for sure is to send your metal so that it can be measured by the operator.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
fla3006

I have had stocks that was excellent on the outside and on the inside looked like they had been inletted with a chainsaw and hatchet. Roger's inletted blanks are cheap by todays standards. I know his finished work is top class. I was just curious about the inletting quality.

James

i got my stock back from roger the other day, and the inletting is so close, it took about 10 minutes of very delicate work to get the bottom metal inletted for my pre 64 M70 project. mostly squaring up corners ( a round router bit can only get corners so square) and making sure the front of the trigger guard was just long enough. here are some pics, sorry none of the inletting, but you can see the level of work on the outside.

i can try to get inletting pics after this weekend. i have to tell you, roger seems like one of the more genuine guys i've met. he is willing to help a novice like myself get around the tough spots on a project like this. my only hope is i don't slip and ruin all the hard work... :-)

oh, and that is my piece of wood that i took them. the wood i saw in the shop was much fancier than mine.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go slow and you'll do fine. Roger is a nice guy, I only wish he had a wider range of patterns. But, if those he does have are your cup of tea, then I think he's a real value and does a fine job.

More pics when you are done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
forrest, that is a fine looking stock, it will look very nice when finished.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
724wd

Thanks for the update.

James