New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory crud in my Weatherby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I inherited a custom .270 wby mag from my father. He had it made in 67 or 68. To the best of my knowledge, the action has never been pulled on it. I took it to my gunsmith to have it disassembled and fully cleaned, and he told me this morning that he is afraid to use the necessary pressure to pull the floorplate for fear of cracking the stock. Seems its full of some "goo", possibly bedding compound. Weatherby of course works on the same schedule as the French soap sellers union (Mon-Thurs), so I cant ask them. Anybody heard of factory bedding (incompetently), or know what the crap in my gun is?

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's possible that the factory glued the stock to the action. They used a thermoplastic resin in their production guns; Lord only knows what they used in custom guns.

It's not really critical to clean underneath the action. Use of Gun Scrubber in the locking lug recesses, and disassembly and cleaning of the bolt are enough for now. I'd forget about it until after your pronghorn hunt. Then contact Weatherby again and see if they'll help.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try sticking it in the freezer overnight. That usually hardens and contracts most bedding compounds enough that you can pop the action out. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote