New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chambering problem in Rem. Mtn. Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a Rem 700 Mtn. Rifle in like new condition chambered in .260. When a single cartridge is loaded in the box magazine and I atempt to chamber it, the primer end of the cartridge jumps up and the bullet is pointed down and jams. if I pull the bolt back just a little the cartridge falls in place and will chamber. This happens about half the time or more with factory ammo and all the time with my handloads that are plenty short to fit in the magazine.

If I load it up with more than one cartridge, they will all chamber fine except the last one.

Has anyone experienced this and give me an idea what's wrong and a possible fix? I can live with loading it up to chamber properly but it annoys me when I can't just poke one in the mag. and chamber it. thanks, Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by merganser1:
I recently bought a Rem 700 Mtn. Rifle in like new condition chambered in .260. When a single cartridge is loaded in the box magazine and I atempt to chamber it, the primer end of the cartridge jumps up and the bullet is pointed down and jams. if I pull the bolt back just a little the cartridge falls in place and will chamber. This happens about half the time or more with factory ammo and all the time with my handloads that are plenty short to fit in the magazine.

If I load it up with more than one cartridge, they will all chamber fine except the last one.

Has anyone experienced this and give me an idea what's wrong and a possible fix? I can live with loading it up to chamber properly but it annoys me when I can't just poke one in the mag. and chamber it. thanks, Merg

Sounds like a Mag spring or follower. I would start with a new spring!! thumb

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Before that, I would recommend pulling the unit apart and reassembling it. It may be assembled wrong. The pieces (the box) sitting out of place.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote