THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    BMG 50 CAL BOLT ACTIONS--any experience with em??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMG 50 CAL BOLT ACTIONS--any experience with em??
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I'm kinda dreaming. Saw a distributer with the armalite 50 bmg with a dealer price of about $2279. I know my dealer would bring me one in without alot of mark up. Anyone ever shoot one of these??
What is the best bullet for this caliber--a 750 grainer?? Looks like a top speed of about 2650 fps according to one source. Can anyone tell me about their experience with this beast?? Also are there any federal regs I need to know about for getting ammo etc???

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Kraky,

http://www.fcsa.org/

is the 50 cal Shooters Association.

I shot a home made single shot bolt action rifle a while back. Mucho fun. We were shooting at a 55 gal drum at a surveyed 2,200 yards.

Not illegal or requiring hoops to jump through, at least not yet.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I retired from Bell Helicopter I was doing recurrent flight training with Police department pilots in a town in Florida. During breaks we talked guns and 50 BMG rifles came up. I made the remark that I would love to shoot one. The next day one of the cops landed at their range heliport after the training session and the range master was waiting with a bolt McMillian 50 BMG. Their range was only 300 yards but it didn't matter. I just wanted to shot it. They let me fire five rounds. The range master said he ordered his ammo from some outfit in Colorado. I was afraid to ask the price. He said the bullets were produced from stock of some sort turned on a lathe. The muzzle brake was really effective. The recoil was more a shove than a kick. I think he told me the rifle weighed 26 pounds. Awsome.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
AR-50's Lar grizzleys, Maadi Griffens are all entry level .50 BMG's. Most are throated for Military ball. The biggest problem with them is false accuracy claims. Most of these guns will barely shoot 2 MOA even with good ammo. The other problem is a lack of places to shoot them and the cost of the ammo. Even reloading your own requires special tools and components. By all means go the FCSA website and if possible attend a match before you spend your hard earned money. Sometimes a member will sell a match gun for not more than you'd pay for a AR-50.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
I have owned both an Armalite AR-50 and a Barrett M-99.

The AR-50 I got came from the factory with a 3.5 pound trigger and would shoot three shots of my hand loads into 1.5" at 300 yards. 31" barrel with a total weight of about 38 pounds with the biggest 34mm tubed Schmidt&Bender scope on it. I could push Gerard's 850 grain HV's to just over 2500 fps with 215 or 216 grains of H50BMG.

The Barrett M=99 weighed only 25 pounds with a 10 X Swarovski, and had a terrible trigger compared to the AR-50. The Barrett had a 33" barrel and I could shoot it offhand fairly easily. It was not as accurate as the AR-50, in my case, maybe just luck.

The Barrett sure was prettier and more mobile, with a much better bipod, and would crowd 1 MOA for three shots. Maybe I could have found a better load for it.

The biggest negative of the AR-50 was it's lack of a good bipod. Maybe they have remedied that. If so order, one for me too, the bipod that is. Still, it is too heavy and buttugly.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built 2 50' so far; one was a 50 BMG, the other a 50 Russian. Bothe were built on McBros actions, Lilja barrels and McMillan stocks. They all shot extremely well, especially at prairie dogs at 600+ yds.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
j kobe arent mcbros bolt action 50s neat. my best friend has 1. its a ball to shoot too i wondered how much prairie dog was left afer a .50 cal hit?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
I wondered how much prairie dog was left afer a .50 cal hit?

I rather suspect there would be as much or MORE prairie dog left after a .50 cal hit than there is with say a hot .224 or .243 bullet. I don't believe a .50 cal bullet would even know it hit anything going thru a pdog. Bullet performance could not be much IMHO.

Are you guys REALLY serious about your .50 caliber rifles being such pussy cats to shoot? I used to have a .55 Boys that weighed 36 pounds, had a good bipod and hydraulic recoil system (which I assumed was working [Eek!] ) and it would STILL kick the snot out of me! Half a dozen shots with this baby and you were ready for the chiropractor. Oh, it had a big muzzle break too...which mostly just stirred up the dust each shot.

Will somebody explain to me how we can make the rifles 10 lbs lighter and shoot them like 7X57's?
Curious minds want to know. [Confused]

Either you guys are a hell of a lot tougher than I was back then or something has sure changed.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably muzzle brake design Pecos. I've played with a Boyes as well, and the brake on it, as you said, "just seemed to kick up dust". We have a few of them around here that have been converted to 50 BMG. A good friend of mine was really into this stuff, and had an anti-aircraft set up 50 BMG full auto on a tripod, and a Russian 12.7. Cool toys. Years ago I owned a Lahti for awhile, it came with a small ski mount, for pulling it around in the snow. That was a heavy beast, it took two of us to lift it out of the truck. Sure played havoc in my uncles gravel pit though. After the first batch I could never get ammo for it, so away it went. Again, too soon old, too late smart. Story of my life. Twice a year all the full auto boys get together for a public shoot here, and invite people to come out and try stuff. There are some very interesting things that show up. Everyone is getting on though, as the government stopped allowing people to buy them if you didn't already have one (grandfathering). Oh well - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, checkout this video of the Serbu 50, the high effeciency muzzle brake makes it look like he is shooting a 12 gauge.
http://www.serbu.com/bfg115.mpg

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've shot one, but do not own one, nor would I.

It was awful fun to shoot. There was very little recoil due to a god-awfulo huge loud muzzle break. I doubled up ear pro- plugs and muffs.

The power of these things is absolutely incredible.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an LAR Grizzly.....(one of the guns Rob doesn't like [Big Grin] ) and it is a blast to shoot....literally!!! My best group so far was 2 5/8" @ 300 yards using remanufactured military ball ammo (all I have shot in mine). As far as recoil goes, it isn't bad, about like a stout 12 guage 3" mag......I've had several women and even teenage girls shoot it and EVERYBODY loves it!!! Before I bought mine, I spoke at length with a shooter who competes in FCSA matches with an LAR, he still uses the factory barrel but has had it throated for bore rider bullets. The biggest plus for the LAR was portability, it is short enough that it isn't a problem to transport it!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote