Find
Notify
Tools

'98 Mauser setback
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
there's been so much discussion about "setback" lately that I thought I'd remind us of the great discussion we had on that issue.....well almost.....but very related!
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=642014&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,

I am having two rifles built on 1909 Argentine actions.

The first, a 404 Jeffery, I had heat treated because we had to remove some metal from the front and rear of the action to get the 404 to feed. I plan on loading this to +/- 2,200 fps with a 400 grain bullet and am not too worried about setback on this.

The second rifle is going to be a 9.3x62, also on a 1909 DWM Argentine action with Blackburn bottom metal. My goal is to load this rifle to approx. 2,350 fps with a 286 grain bullet from a 24" Lothar Walter barrel. Given that we will not be removing any metal from the action, do you think I need to worry about lug setback (assuming that I do not heat treat the action) with this rifle/caliber/pressure combination?

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I remember Systeme98 posting once that all of them should be treated, I think it is re-carburizing right? can't remember offhand. I have an 09 in 7mm mag that I have not shot since that thread until I get the hardness tested because I don't want to have lug set back on it. But they should be able to test your action and see how it is for hardness. I think usual spot is underside of the front ring.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Since it costs so little why not? I do.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
May I ask who does your heat treating work?

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The local place that did mine no longer does em. The gent that specialized in it retired. I have about a dozen re-carburized receivers on hand so won't need to find someone new for quite a while. Sorry.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be perfectly safe, you should have your action taken down to soft and then brought back up to specs..I do this with some actions and not with others. Some folks do this with all Mausers and thats OK....

I have been shooting Mausers for years in many calbers and have used the better actions and I have never had any setback or pressure problems...

The best advise you can get on this is from D'Arcy Echols...

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

Do you have contact information for PMI?

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd rather not take chances on the suitable hardness of Mauser actions. I feel so strongly about it that if a riflesmith refuses to have a Mauser action rehardened, I take my business elsewhere.

AD

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
per the posted data of heat treating of a couple months ago I'll repeat from others here:

Blanchard Metals Processing CO
1115 Pioneer Road, Salt Lake City, UT 84104
(801) 972-5590

case harden .03-.04 deep and harden to 36-40Rc

As to the advisability of full annealing prior to
hardening, I'd let the heat treater advise of that. It's a separate step and a time consuming one requiring a lengthy cooling period. Several folks have recommended it and they are among the aged.....so it's wise to not ignore them.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have dozens of old surplus 98 Mausers that I true the action and lapp the lugs.

And I really abuse those rifles

Darned if I can get set back.

I put moly grease on the cases to increase bolt thrust.

How are you guys doing it?

I am only shooting .470" case heads.

Are you guys doing 338 Lapua or something like that with a bigger case head area?

I feel like I am left out of a club here.

I have a 7mm '93 Spanish I got for 2/$15. I am going to overload it until I get set back [or blow it up trying].

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote