New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi Custom Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I once had a very nice semi custom stock made by Fajen. Today a friend was complaining about his Savage 110 plastic stock I recommended he contact Fajen and see what they would make a stock for. When I went to their site I realized that they do not do such any more.

Is there any one who does stock work such as Bishop and Fajen used to do at a reasonable price? I do not have a requirement now, but I was wondering.
When I had mine made it cost me less than $200 wholesale with a mid grade blank, and the stock was made and finished as I wanted.

While I do not quarrel with those who desire real fancy custom stocks, I think there are those who would like a nice stock of plain Walnut or laminated, that would cost around the price for the synthetic stocks now available, that is around $250 - 300.

Maybe those days are long gone. Any information? I don't think Richard's Microfit does the finished stocks.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Richard's MicroFit Stocks offers a wide selection of woods, grades, and styles at very attractive prices, and they've been in business a very long time.

See Richard's Micro-Fit Stocks

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a finished laminate, look at:
www.boydboys.com

They have 100% drop in finished stocks, and drop in unfinished stocks. Finished are about $130 I think.

Richard's and Elk Ridge can supply you with cheap stocks, but they are unfinished and require a fair bit of work. Great American Gunstocks is a great place, with lots of designs available (classic ones too, not the 1950's special 'Weatherby' look-alikes).

Happy shopping.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a fair # of patterns i have built from great american stocks that were junk. crooked inletting, over inletted so on. after that i have spent 30,000 buying don allen duplicator a lathe and mill to build them myself and sell them. friends dont let friends buy great american. i have seen quit a few stocks from them in the past year and the wood is still green, just my opinon.

<RickMD>
posted
I have purchased quite a few stocks from Great American Gunstocks (both semi-inleted as well as fully inletted and shaped). Their work was excellent and the wood was always properly dried. Henry Phol, the owner, was the chief man at Bishop's for many years. Very good service and quality.

Now, Richards, that's another story........