Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 30S scope mounting question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I need some help with mounting a scope on my 30S Express. The rifle is drilled and tapped for a 1 piece base - one hole in front ring and another in the rear bridge. But I would prefer to mount a set of Talley or Warne Premier bases on it. The problem is that I am not sure what bases to use.

The front ring and rear bridge are the same radius and level. If I can find out the receiver radius (and any other rifles that share that radius) I can do some comparing on the scope base charts and find a set of bases that will fit and have my smith drill the 2nd hole for each base.

I would sure appreciate any help.

Thanks.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Bill, what is called for a Model 1917 Enfield?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Bill it is good to see you are still alive... Where you been hiding? I guess your eyes are failing and breaking down and going to put a scope on that 30S...

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
I need some help with mounting a scope on my 30S Express. The rifle is drilled and tapped for a 1 piece base - one hole in front ring and another in the rear bridge. But I would prefer to mount a set of Talley or Warne Premier bases on it. The problem is that I am not sure what bases to use.

The front ring and rear bridge are the same radius and level. If I can find out the receiver radius (and any other rifles that share that radius) I can do some comparing on the scope base charts and find a set of bases that will fit and have my smith drill the 2nd hole for each base.

I would sure appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I put a set of Conetrols on mine and they work well enough. They list a set specific to the Model 30. I would imagine a lot of other makers may too but don't publish them because of the lack of demand. You might try calling or emailing the various makers that interest you and ask if they have something in the back closet....

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I sent you an email about the Warnes. They list a #848 as good for the M30 & 720 and they list the same bases for the Browning BAR and Colt bolt action.

The 720 was the epitome of the Remington P/17-M30 design but few were made.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Bill,

I sent you an email about the Warnes. They list a #848 as good for the M30 & 720 and they list the same bases for the Browning BAR and Colt bolt action.

Which Colt, the Colt Sauer or the Colt Light Rifle? I ask because the Colt Sauer uses the same bases as the Sauer 202/200 rifles and the Sauer 90 series which would open up a lot more options.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weaver #11 is for the rem30s. If you check their chart you might find a talley base to match. If you want the weavers I have a few set of steel ones.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Bill,

Which Colt, the Colt Sauer or the Colt Light Rifle? I ask because the Colt Sauer uses the same bases as the Sauer 202/200 rifles and the Sauer 90 series which would open up a lot more options.

Tigger, I'm away from my list but will get back to you with an answer ASAP.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I think I have a set of Colt Sauer bases from Leupold (mod. 202) and they too are the same height. They are the new QD style. Ought too work, will check my inventory. All you really need to do is measure the ring then set your boring head to that rad. and trim them up, this goes for any base. A little clover compound will make things nice and tight.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote