THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Those newfangled drill press laser pointers, do they work?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those newfangled drill press laser pointers, do they work?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I keep seeing ads for lasers on drill presses, and I can't see how they would work since they would have to be aimed at an angle that would change whenever the height of the surface over the table would. About the only thing I could see working in a practical manner is something that fits in or over the chuck.

Am I missing something? Is this really the next best thing to sliced bread or has PT Barnum been reincarnated?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Only ones I have seen mount in the chuck. Line everything up, remove, place drill bit in the chuck.

Enco sells a optical center finder that also mounts in the chuck . They run about 250.00

Correction, they are 169.00
optical

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
They use two lasers that each shoot a line, where the lines intersect is where the drill will follow, to a point. My only criticism is that as you lower the quill, the drill will occlude the lasers. I have a drill press that came with one for free, otherwise I wouldn't have had one. Having played with it, I really wouldn't spend any money on one, using a pointed bar stock works super and you don't have to worry about it being knocked out of alignment.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lasers seem to be the new fad for selling products.

Do they have a laser guided lawn mower yet for the urban weekend yard warriors?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote