Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Maker--Montana Rifleman
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
What is everyones opinion of the Montana barrels? I have heard that is their main business, but I would like to know about the accuracy and quality.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 45 barrel from them and they sent one with chatter marks. They took care of busines without hesitation and even let me alter it to a 1/2 OCT and 1/2 round without change in price. The 2nd is beautiful and shoots like a dream.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a .300 Win Mag, and it shoots very well. A friend of mine has installed multitudes of these barrels, and is very happy with the results. Price is very reasonable.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Any more experiences with Montana as barrel makers? I was possibly planning on having them custom contour a barrel to eliminate the long wait for another manufacturer to get the one I want. Plus, it saves a little money on installation by having them take care of it at the factory. What are your thoughts?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jim johnson
posted Hide Post
Have several some round some octogon all shoot well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have six of them in different calibers and the worst accuracy has been 3/4" with the best down in the high .200's and low .300's. They are very well made and underrated.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used one for a 35 Whelen mauser and another
target garde heavy barrel in 308.Both were great
accuracy is excellent.Seem to be very under rated,Do not understand why,they make a quality
product.And go out of their way to make sure that all is well.Waiting on tax return to order
another ,for a 270 project.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have an MRC short action but when I looked at $245 for a 26" contoured SS blank I decided to go for the $265 Krieger 27" blank instead. Nothing against MRC but for $20 I'd go with Krieger if you can stand the wait.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Okay, last call! Tell me why I shouldn't use Montana to build my barrel for my action. Overall, it will be cheaper to have them install the barrel when I order the action. It ends up being a lot of savings.

posted Hide Post
Hi 333_OKH
I have 3 of their rifles and one they replaced a barrel on. They are all very good shooters. The actions are easy ro work on and they are also easy to rebarrel. I also own Krieger barrels and they are excellent. For the money and availibility I would get the Montana action and barrell set . I am amazed at the accuracy @ 200 yds with the 300wsm and 30-06 A.I. I do recommend their stainless.It cleans up quickly after you break em in
Dan

Posts: 5 | Location: COLORADO | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for all of your comments. They will be making a custom barrel profile for a short action for me.