New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Model 70 cocking piece
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The cam nose broke off the cocking piece on my Model 70 Winchester this morning. The rifle is a mid 80's vintage push feed. From what I found on the net it looks like the cocking piece from any Model 70 will work. Is that true?

Anybody know where to find one? I couldn't find one at the normal parts dealers except for the Tubb replacement. I will call Winchester tomorrow.

It is my hunting rifle and deer season opens next Saturday so I would like to get one ASAP. For the time being it is a cock on closing.

After further search, it looks like Winchester sells the part as a firing pin. Can the firing pin be separated from the cocking piece?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tubb firing pin is the only firing pin for a Win 70 that I have ever seen with a separate cocking piece.

You can go that route, buying both parts or buy a firing pin. The only firing pin that won't work or can't be made to work is a bonafide short action firing pin. Most Win 70's used full length actions with spacers and different bolt stops for smaller cartridges.

A good gunsmith may be able to repair (weld up) your firing pin.

I want to clarify that most model 70 firing pins are the same length except bonafide short actions. It is a lot of work to lengthen a short action firing pin and a lot of work to shorten a long action firing pin. The Tubb pin is advertised as adjustable but it is far from the best choice, nor the cheapest; and you need both Tubb parts.

I have never been able to get a model 70 firing pin separated from the cocking piece, nor have any of my gunsmith friends.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say mine is a long action.

airgun, what are the problems with the Tubb setup? I use the same bolt in my silhouette rifle and the faster lock time wouldn't hurt for silhouette. However I wouldn't want to use it if there are problems with reliability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck in your hunt, Winchester or USRA never sold it as a separate part, and the firing pins were always a restricted item. And now Browning will not even sell one to a Winchester Service Center.

FWI there are many versions of M70 firing pins now.

Pre 1964, all calibers

Post 1964 with no sleeve cap, also M670's

Post 1964 with sleeve cap, in standard calibers.

Post 1964 with sleeve cap, in 222 Rem, smaller tip dia

Post 1985 medium action, new sleeve

Post 1985 medium action, new sleeve, in 222, 223 Rem

Post 1985 Long action, new sleeve

Left hand version

The newest Short action version as well.

These are just the ones that come to mind, with out digging thru the parts book.

Try Nu-line Guns for a repro firing pin, as he bought all the ones I had left over about 3 years ago, for the post 64 standard with the sleeve cap.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no reliability issues with the Tubb. It is expensive and far from original. It as any other one size fits all; it fits none without a lot of work.

Like Jim Wisner said there are lots of M70 firing pins and most are long action. You can make most any of them work with the correct spring and retasiner setup. There is at least one that that may not work with a 3-pos Safety, or it may and just need a lot of work. An experienced gunsmith will know what it takews to fit a different pin.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is not original and it isn't very pretty either. It wouldn't lose any value if I use the Tubb parts. At least I would be able to use it.

Thanks for your help.