New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW user, looking for info on model 94 parts
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings all,
I am trying to find a source for a takedown conversion parts kit for a Winchester 94. Any info would be helpful.
-penumbrae

one of us
posted Hide Post
penumbrae

Welcome
I was hoping someone with more information would chime in.
First, no one to my knowledge makes a takedown conversion kit.
Factory parts are near impossible to find and very expensive if you do.
If a kit was avaible and depending on the kit.
One, at the very minimun the forearm support on the front of the receiver would have to be machined off.
Two, the barrel/receiver extension would have to be indexed with the receiver.
Three, you would have to address headspace.
There are some companies performing this service.
The only one that I could find now listing was www.dlask.com
www.wildwestguns.com only list Marlins for their conversions.
www.drccustomgunsights.com did list this conversion but I have been unable to access their web sight lately.
Last is Lee Hadaway at www.thearmsroom.com He did offer this service and has taught classes at Trinidad State Jr. College on Building Takedown Lever Action Rifles.He has no information on his sight but you could e-mail him and ask.
Hope this helps.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The old NRA gunsmithing guide has a whole article devoted to converting a 94 to takedown. A very comprehensive how to.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
penumbrae,
I'm currently building a takedown on a 92 Winchester. I've researched these things abit and am trying to duplicate the original Winchester takedown system.
Some info is available in Pirkle's book about 86 & 92 Winchesters and I'd say it's all translatable to the 94's. Madis' book Winchester 1 of 1,000 should also have some pictures/info.
The article in the NRA gunsmithing guide is not the original Winchester takedown but a cheaper/simpler system.
Basically you'll have to remove the barrell, machine/file off the rim that retains the forend ( I believe that this is what they did at the factory), thread a seamless aftermarket magazine tube (I tried it on a seamed original ......oops) to 8 tpi acme, make up a magazine takedown lever and end cap, magazined tube will have to be "crimped" to retain the follower, machine up a "forend iron" (which the barrell and magazine tube screws into and it also locates the forend and holds threw screws for adjustment.)
The tricky part is to index the forend iron to the action while making sure the barrell is indexed so the sights are in correct position. I'm sure a real machinest would have no difficuly though.
The original barrell should be able to be reused and the forend should be able to be shortened and reused.
Still keen??????
There are also some great photos/articles around of some takedown 76 & 86's that Doug Turnbull is doing.
Good luck. If I make some worthwhile progress on mine I'll post some pictures.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some notes on Take down pre 1930, M92's and 94's, since Winchester dropped these in 1930, other than the spare parts the had on hand for factory rebuilds up till the 50's

The barrel thread pitch is the same, just extended for the Bbl Ext to thread into.

The reciever has interupted threads, the barrel also has them and it only take a 90 degree twist to remove from the reciever.

The flange is removed from the reciever, it is on the Bbl Ext to hold the forend.

The threads on the tube is 8 TPI but is a very shallow square form.

There is a small ring that is silver sldered in the end of the tube to hold the follwer in place, the outside is at an angle to match with the recess in the reciever when screwed in place.

There are 4 types of take down lever assemblies, due to the two sizes of tubes used.
One is for the 1/2 and 2/3 length tubes, the other is for the full length tubes.
The small size is for the 92's in 25 and 32 caliber, and then the larger size for the 92's in 38 and 44 plus this is the same size as the 94.

Then you have the two types for the 1886, also due to a even larger size tube.

The large 92/94 size tube only used one screw to hold the take down lever assembly in the tube while the small 92 size tube used two screws. This location is indexed to match with the threads in the Bbl Ext, so they line up when closed.

This is an start, I hope it helps.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further to what Jim has mentioned in his posting.

The barrell thread is 1.020" long (source NRA gunsmithing guide ??)instead of the standard .640". Yep and it's interupted thread.........forgot this detail as mine will have a full thread.

The magazine tube thread is .015" deep (which is shallow for that thread form but necessary because of tube wall thickness)x .0625 wide (1/16 inch) and 1.562" long (source Pirkles ???)

Thanks to Jim for the detail about the internal ring in the magazine tube to retain the follower......sounds better than crimping end of tube.

Get Pirkles 1886 and 1892 Winchester book (no I don't sell it and I'm not a relative) as he has the most detail that I've seen on the subject.

I was going to convert a 94 to takedown but have probably sold the rifle.

Good luck and post pictures.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
HERE is one for sale. Complete rifle that is.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote