THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best books for revolver maintenance??????
 Login/Join

<Dyno>
posted
Please recommend the best books for revolver
repair and maintenance. I purchased a book on revolver assembly and disassembly and it is a good book ,however, it did not cover the old style Colt Cobra snub(no underlug) and it is not
a how to repair manual. OK , this is what I plan to keep up and repair as far as revolvers go.
Colt Cobra (old style)
Ruger GP-100
S&W mod. 657
S&W mod. 629

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Dyno

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clearly, the Jerry Kuhnhausen books. His book on S&W revolvers covers all of them, and his book on the older Colts covers old & "new" Cobras, which are about the same. I'm not sure he has a Ruger book out, but he probably does. These are for gunsmiths, really, but if you know enough about screwdrivers to buy or make the right one for the job, these books will help you through a lot.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
Recono ,
Thanks for the tip on the Jerry Kuhnhansen books.
I think grinding the screwdriver tips is something I'll be able to do. I don't like the magnetic tip type as I believe they may impart some magnetism to the parts being worked on and thus attract metal fragments. Can you tell me where to find these books ?
Thanks , Dyno

one of us
posted Hide Post
They might still be advertising in the back of The American Rifleman. I'm making a note to check the address in the book, and I'll post it tomorrow.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

[ 06-25-2002, 20:04: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing a magnetic screwdriver can do: once the tip is close to the gun, the screwdriver can be attracted strongly enough that it jumps that last little distance and makes contact. When it hits the metal, it can leave a scratch in the finish.

I like Sweeney's book, but not much specific to the GP-100 in there.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
Henry,
That is another good reason to stay from the magnetic type of screwdriver. I be grinding a few to a proper fit or buying a set. This is my first serious attempt toward serious upkeep of the many guns accumulated over the last forty-five years. My plan is to start with the pistols and then rifles.There is a wealth of knowledge hear on this forum so if I get stuck I'll asking for help right here.
Thanks , Dyno

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
Bill ,

Thanks for the heads-up on the books, I'll check Midway.

Thanks , Dyno

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dyno,

You're welcome, glad to help. I have his M1/M1A book, and it is everything that I heard it was and more. I'd bet his revolver books are excellent.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill M,

A lot quicker than the snail-mail address for Heritage that I had.

Dyno,

Colt DA Revolvers, Vol One is the one you need. Volume Two covers the later "S&W" Colts.