New
Find
Notify
Tools

JC Higgins FN and feeding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen: It has been a while since last post, but I have a new question. Purchased a ba in 30-06 with a JCHiggins barrel and the lovely, untouched FN action. Shoots great--the deer hate it--BUT it does not feed well. By the way, Winchester factory loads (165 gr.). Here is the problem: picks up from right or left side with no problem, and they feed great right up to the last inch or so. Then you must push hard to get the bolt home. My ideas to check when I get home are: bullets are seated too long or the brass headspace is too long--FOR THIS CHAMBER. Think I will get the calipers out and then try to feed some of the now "fireformed" brass to see if the problem continues. But in the meantime, I am hoping someone out there in cyberspace has any ideas! You always come through! Arthur (hope there are no typos...)

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Arthur,
It sounds to me like the round isn`t sliding freely up under the extractor as it goes up the ramp into the chamber.
Try this. Remove the bolt from the rifle. Try and run a round up UNDER the extractor the way it feeds them from the mag. See if this is too tight or binds. If it binds there is your problem. If it is-- use a Dremel and VERY carefully remove a little metal where it binds. The round should slip up s,oothly with just a little pressure on the extractor. Hope this helps.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
On the surface it sounds like the rim is not slipping easily under the extractor. Pull the bolt and with an empty case, attempt to slide it up the bolts face and under the extractor while holding the cartrige case at the approximate angle of feed.

There should be a small relief angle at the bottom right hand edge of the extractor to better facilitate feeding at this angle. If the angle is absent, or, it is off, it will show up as a hard last minute feed. If that maks sense. The problem could also be caused by an extractor with too much material at the radius.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any chance the rear edge of the chamber is sharp? If it is it will scuff or scratch your brass as it drags into the chamber. To cure this problem you can use a common 5/8 counter sink and a 1/4" X 12" long wood bit extension. Turn it with a "T" hand just a half to a full turn by hand.
Do not use a power tool. The edge broken by the csink can be polished with a dowel and 400 grit silicon carbide paper ...but only a little is needed.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some different followers.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote