THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manson Precision Receiver Accurizing System?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone had a chance to use this system on a rifle? How does it compare to a "real" blueprint?

I was quoted $300 for squaring lugs, boltface, receiver on a Pre 64. Then I discovered the guy uses this Accurizing System- the whole setup isn't much more than that!

Any insight appreciated.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
There is a good article regarding the use of this tap/mandrel in early 2004 in Precision Shooting magazine. But, it was on a Remington 700 in which the bolt way was reamed oversize for a sleeved bolt.

While I don't think you're going to be sleeving the bolt on a Winchester CRF, you're pretty much forced into using the bushings to pilot the cutter/reamer, which leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

But, I wasn't aware they were making this for Pre-64 actions. The "Classic" new model has the same threads as a Remington 700, and they advertise it as working....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Manson system can work fairly well but is a bit limited as to what it can accomplish. It would not correct a receiver with severely crooked threads or seats for instance and if they are not all that crooked it may be that the work was unnecessary. I think 300 dollars to "blueprint" an action using this system is a pretty hefty charge. Probably about 150.00 an hour.
I find it interesting that Winchester has increased the thread diameter on their actions. This has to be in response to the problems which existed with some of the WSM chambered rifles (oval chambers). Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
personally if i was looking at this kind of work I'd give jim kobe a call. he does really excellent work & does a lot of pre 64 winnys

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bill what has Winchester changed the thread OD to on the new WSMs? I havn't had to rebarrel one yet.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
The only evidence I have that this has happened at all is anecdotal as in one of the previous posts. I have not seen one of the larger threaded actions. The story is that they have increased the size to 1.062, the same as a Remington 700. This is certainly something which needed to be done. Especially in light of those WSM problems. I won't rebarrel a WSM without rethreading. Someone who has actually had one apart and seen the larger threads should feel free to chime in here! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Another & better option ( not for Winchester ) but for us Wink would be to stop broaching the bolt lug ways all the way out the front end of the receiver!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
are you rebarreling or just cleaning up your action and setting back the barrel? sounds very expensive considering the tools used.
try gre-tan rifles. http://www.gtrtooling.com very cool site and much info......
woofer

if you aint' livin', you're dyin'.

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote