New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re cutting engraved lettering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any problem re-cutting the serial # B#### and writing/lettering on the side of a 1909 Argentine action to deepen and clean it up and keep the font style or look of the original lettering?
I don't want to remove any #s and lettering and re-engrave them just clean them up and make them look deep, new and original looking.

It's going to get hand polished/stoned (not by me, thats for sure!) just enough to pretty up the action, not surface ground (no pits).

Since it will be an open sight only Rifle, Express sights with 2 folding and a Lyman 48 Peep. It will have a bare front bridge as I'm not keeping the Argintine crest.
Just the made in Berlin lines and the serial #.
Any suggestions as to what to do on the front receiver bridge? As in "make" a banner mauser or just leave clean?

It's a replica of a 1920's/30's Holland & Holland Rifle. I have some great detail pictures of two of Holland & Holland's 20s/30s Rifles from Cabela's when they had two for sale.
I have looked all over the web for some good detail pictures of this style rifle for over then 6 months and a few weeks ago found not one but two sets of detailed pictures in one evening!
If anyone would like to see the pictures I will e-mail them to someone who can post them. I still haven't completely figured posting pictures out yet.

As a side note NECG is coming out with a replica of the H&H folding hood sight from the 20'/30's Rifles. They should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There is no law against re-cutting the serial numbers as long as you don't alter their meaning.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote