New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goat Rifle - need some help.
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
C'mon Glenn, be fair. I am only talking about very specific situations, not hunting in general.

Regarding your question, I have heard that one pound on your feet is equivalent to 5 pounds on your back. I believe it. I also think a similar ratio could apply to rifles when hiking in steep country, as you will find it is mostly in your hand, not on your shoulder.

Also, I 100% agree that losing 10 pounds from your gut will make a bigger difference than 1 pound off your rifle. The hard cold truth of the matter is that your average sheep or goat hunt won't be a heck of a lot of fun no matter how light your rifle is, if you are not in decent shape to start with. When I recommend a light rifle it is intended for serious sheep and goat hunters that are already fit.

And I still feel a solid rest with two points of contact will be stable with any weight gun. I've tried both.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Canuck: Don't disagree, and point well taken. Reason I'm touting the sling is that it's a real solid option in most situations, particularly the military or Whelen styles. A little practice with any style sling can make a big difference between a hit or a miss at reasonable ranges, but I seldom note hunters using one for anything other than a carrying strap.

Have enjoyed the give and take on this post - it's what it is all about - having a chuckle and learning a thing or two from time to time.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glenn:
Have enjoyed the give and take on this post - it's what it is all about - having a chuckle and learning a thing or two from time to time.

I agree with you 110% on that one. This is what it is all about.

And I totally agree with your point about the the proper use of a sling. My Dad is retired RCMP so he taught me some of the finer points of rifle shooting and sling use. I am so glad he did. In most field postions I am way better with the sling than without.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the magnums often a goat shot will require straight up shot at odd angles that will pound you into the ground.I use a 280rem on a light wt.ruger77.rem 700 mtn. rifle would be a good choice in .270,280,or30-06 I wouldnt use any thing less big goats at long ranges are tough to put down.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hey

A 7mm rem or Wby is not that bad to shoot and won't beat you shoulder to death. A fine goat round would be 270 Wby with a 26 inch barrel and good bullets. I have been thinking about getting one my self. The 270 is nice and 280 Imp or standard will do well to.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
gophershooter, you are absolutely right. I think more goat hunters wear "badges of honor" on their eyebrow than any others. You don't realize how close your brow is to the scope at that angle, until the blood is trickling down your cheek!

JOHAN, the 7mm's aren't bad, especially if you stick to 139 or 140 grain bullets, which are plenty for goats.

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
What would guys think of a 7mmWSM, in as light of heavy a configuration as would suit you best, for goat hunting?

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis_Lemay:
What would guys think of a 7mmWSM, in as light of heavy a configuration as would suit you best, for goat hunting?

I think you should get a 7mm Rem Mag, instead.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote