THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early (1965?) Remington 700 action questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted
I recently picked up an early 700 ADL 30-06. Haven't decided what caliber to build, but have a few questions about the action. The date code on the barrel is A M, which supposedly makes it a 1965 model. It does have the bolt knob offset to the rear like the early ones did. Several questions:

Will this different bolt handle be a problem with aftermarket synthetic stocks or if I end up using a factory Remington synthetic stock?

Will the bottom metal off of a newer 700 fit?

Is the split sear an issue, either positively or negatively?

Any other issues with these older 700s that I need to be aware of? It will probably be something like a .338/06 or .35 Whelen when I get done with it. Hopefully a very nice elk timber "shooter".

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 72 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you mean to say it “doesn’t†have a swept back handle or it “does?â€

If it’s a straight handle you will have to modify newer stocks.If it’s swept back then it should fit the newer stocks fine.

The answers to your next two questions are: Yes, and No, in that order.

The only issue you may run into is scope mounting. Pre-1974 700’s have a slightly lower rear bridge to front ring height.

The difference in heights for the pre and post 74 models is the result of raising the side rails to incorporate the new anti-bind system for the bolt. The rear bridge was raised .017†to accomodate this increase of the rail height. That may not sound like allot, but it is allot when it comes to mounting scopes that bridge the weakest area of the receiver.

Depending on your bases(they all seem to be a bit different in height) you could end up with your scope in a slight bind, and a bit of stress on the receiver, unless you shim the rear base.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
We meet again fyj! Thanks for the input. Glad to know about the rear base height. It came with Weaver bases so I'll do some checking. Thought about going with different rings and bases so I'll have to watch.

Concerning the bolt handle and knob...the handle is swept back, but the knob is offset slightly to the rear. I read somewhere that along about 1969 the knobs were offset forward to give slightly more clearance between the rear of the knob and trigger finger knuckle during recoil. Basically I didn't know if the bolt handle shape changed during this modification, or if they just changed the knob.

Thanks again for the info!

Posts: 72 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry man, I totally misunderstood you.

If I recall the change you’re referring to happened along with the change in rear bridge height in 1974, but I could be wrong. Either way, I don’t believe the part of the handle that the stock is recessed for is different between the two.

Good luck on your project, sounds like you’ve got a real nice action to start with.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote