THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    need gunsmith recommendation for 1st and only mauser project.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need gunsmith recommendation for 1st and only mauser project.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
http://www.gun-shop.biz

I have not used them, but others I know have. For 1k, you can have a hell of a mauser, in fact for $500 you can.....and not be afraid to hunt with it.

Or send it to ER Shaw, they can do all except the stock. No, its not a Shilen, Douglas, Pac-nor etc. but it'll work. Order a stock from Boyds and do that yourself.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why people want to build an average or sub-par "custom" is beyond me. You do not have to break the bank to build one. But, good metalwork, including barrel, is not a place I would skimp. Otherwise, you are just reinveting the average run of the mill production gun. If that's what you really want the go to walmart and you'll save a ton. Otherwise, get a good metalsmith to do the work.

Think about what it is you really want on your rifle, price it out and see how close you come to the budget you've set. You'll likely be over, in which case you can choose to save until you get what you want or you can start altering your specs til you reach a cost you can live with. Speaking form experience, that $45 part you decided you could live without often bugs you for a long long time. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is wait until you can afford what you want. With that in mind, something to think about is that these projects often take longer than you think. So if all you have is $1000 to spare today you might have an additional $500 by the time payment is due.

one of us
posted Hide Post
just say moe-

it looks like that guy took a torch to the shotgun action as a faux "case color" that will be passed off as the real thing. I would never even talk to a guy who torches a shotgun. His work is pretty crude, but priced accordingly. But if he will torch a shotgun, I would not let him even simple job like drill and tap an action for me. That is a gun hack of the worst order.

If the original poster wants a true "once in a lifetime rifle," then get on some one's waiting list and start saving. Use the moeny you have now as a deposit and save, save, save. By the time your turn in the rotation comes up you will have the money you need. If you really want a custom rifle (or anything else for that matter) you can find a way to make extra money and save for it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbart2:
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to ask Jim Kobe about recontouring the tang and then using a Rimrock stock.

Jim - If you recontour the tang, wouldn't you then have to re-shape the stock blank accordingly? I would have thought that reshaping a Rimrock would be a no-no, and that you would likely break thru the shell, no?

Just curious as to what your experiences are with this.

Thanks,

Bob

I did my own 09 in a 284 for a sheep rifle and did not break through. This was one of the original Pacific Research stocks. Iwould check with Jim Borden for the answer to this one.

Jens Poulsen:

For you, but only you, I will raise my prices if it will make you feel better.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why people want to build and average or sub-par "custom" is beyond me.

Sorry........forgot where I was.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote