THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy question- synthetic mannlicher stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here goes- I like full stock rifles, however, with a lot of rain where I live, I can get a little nervous about taking them out. And the idea of a little 6.5x55 mannlicher never quite goes away.
I,ve been ponderin the idea of a synthetic stocked mannlicher for a couple of years. At this point, to the best of my knowledge, MPI is the only game in town. The idea of a lightweight, fairly weather resistant mannlicher is pretty appealing. Just don,t know if its very probable.. And I,ve heard conflicting reports on their quality control..
So I,m wondering if anybody has any experience in this regard, recommendations, etc?
Or, is this just an expensive bad idea?

The basic idea would be to pick up a full stock CZ, round up the stock, send it all off to a gunsmith to switch stocks, hardware, etc, and do the finishing...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
mpi

pm waterrat he has one on a 358 norma

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yuck. Any Mannlicher stock should be made of wood. Synthetic stocks are for tools. Wood stocks are for rifles and the Mannlicher falls in the last category. I own synthetic stocks but they all look like function, not art.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
bluefish is correct that MPI makes them

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to Doc yesterday in Portland, owner of MPI. He has two patterns for Mannlicher stocks and get calls all the time for them. Give him a call. I have built stocks using their product. I do not have a problem using their product for customers.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...101084751#3101084751

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I had Doc at MPI build me a mannlicher stock for my .458 rifle last year. In my opinion it did not end up anything much like what I ordered and we had discussed in writing. I consider it a total waste of the well over $1,000 I paid him to do it.

If I were you I'd check for other sources.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I had Doc at MPI build me a mannlicher stock for my .458 rifle last year. In my opinion it did not end up anything much like what I ordered and we had discussed in writing. I consider it a total waste of the well over $1,000 I paid him to do it.

If I were you I'd check for other sources.

My experience was great. I've heard mixed reviews on MPI. I guess I was on the good side of the reviews.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I had two conventional sporter stocks built by MPI for me before I ordered their mannlicher stock. Both the conventional sporter stocks were very nicely laid up and dimensioned, and finely finished.

But this OP's question was about their composite mannlicher stocks. I had them make one of those mannlichers for me and in my opinion it is a disaster in almost all respects. That goes for its dimensions, its weight, its finish, the pad put on it, and more. My comments above relate only to that specific kind/design of stock.

So I recommended that if he wants a composite MANNLICHER stock, he look elsewhere before deciding to buy such a stock from MPI. I still recommend that course of action.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen, appreciate the replies! I was in touch with Waterrat, he was kind enough to provide a couple pics of his gun. Austin Hunter, appreciate the link! Makes it a lot easier when you can actualy see how they look.
Call me crazy, I like the way they look. If I was still out in the prairies where I grew up, I,d probably stick to wood and blued steel.
Where I,m at, I,ve grown to appreciate stainless and sythetics.
And rain gear...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote