Find
Notify
Tools

How to pick one
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
all my guns are purely factory ones. I have only had wood and blue. I think I have a need ( at least "need" is my justification) for a stainless/synthetic rifle. At the same time I am contemplating also going to a gunsmith to have one made. For a first venture with a gunsmith, other than talking it out with him, seeing some of his work, and picking his brain, are there any key questions I should ask to tell if he knows what he is doing. I am looking for a shooter not a showpiece gun but want it to be a good one. Contemplating either a 300wsm or 300 win mag.

Thanks for the help

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
I would ask for references of customers he built stuff for, or at least look at the work in progress in his shop. Ruger makes a decent stainless bolt-just needs the trigger lightened up. Or, Savage for the most bang for the buck, and probably best accuracy out of the box of any factory rifle.

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
hikerbum
Ask where he learned the trade.
Ask for references for the last 10 guns he built.Call them.

The good guys,ie D'Arcy Echols,Gene Simillion,Biesen,Mark Penrod, Hill Country Rifles etc.. have stellar reps for a reason.

I took the advise from a "booking agent" here and used a guy just on his word.It was a very expensive lesson.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of ways to go, but start by deciding what you want to build . Personaly I would go with the old 300 win over the 300WSM.
But some of the Questions that are most directly connected with choosing your smith are the action you want to use. And Weather you want a wood or synthetic stock. For example the smith I most often use in forest grove or, has a bunch of 98 mauser actions all set up and ready to barrel. Drilled taped timney trigger and the Bulher type safty. I think he sells them for 250.00, you would need to open the Bolt hace and such but he would make you a beautifull 300 win, on such an action. He will work on model 70 Ruger #1s sako or any other action and his resume is hanging on the wall.
One thing you better know now is quality takes time, in a way thats a good thing gives you time to pay. Any way 1st thing you want to do is pick an action. Mausers are good...tj3006

freedom1st