Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 disasembly button on bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
I just picked up a NIB stainless classic and notice that when I work the bolt that this button is out of place and not in the square recess. A very slight twist of the shroud pops it back in place. What is the fix for something like this? All replies are appreciated.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Shoot us a clear picture of just how far out of alignment it is.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I will put up a picture tonite . It's probably .050 or less

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Here is a before and after picture. I twist the shroud just a tweek and the button is perfectly in place

before

after

posted Hide Post
I would venture to say the spring is to soft. The should will screw off the body when that is depressed.

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How to explain this... Okay, what prevents the bolt handle from going too far when opening the bolt is the far left edge of the bolt handle assembly making contact with the left hand bolt rail.

If you were to trim some material from the edge of the bolt handle assembly where it contacts the rail, then when you lift the bolt handle, it will go beyond the normal stop, or, over rotate by an amount equal to the material you removed.

Without actually seeing the gun and bolt first hand, this is what appears to be the problem with yours. It should be a fairly straight forward repair for a knowledgeable gunsmith familiar with these bolt assemblies, but where the gun is new, I would recommend returning it to the factory for repair. Don't be tempted to enlarge the notch, or, trim the latch. Let the factory make the correction. Probably require nothing more than fitting the bolt with a different shroud, or, machining yours to match. Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Westpac..thanks for the Info... I am sending it to Browning/Winchester repair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SempreElk:
Here is a before and after picture. I twist the shroud just a tweek and the button is perfectly in place

before

after

Your links don't work.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote