THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    An old Mauser rehabilitated, with help from Ray Atkinson and Cliff LaBounty

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An old Mauser rehabilitated, with help from Ray Atkinson and Cliff LaBounty
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
 -
 -

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p8e18ff1773e14200e30c29fc8a96f143/fc11f5 4e.jpg

-

-

Here are some pictures (I hope) of a pre WW1 J.P. Sauer Mauser I picked up about a year and a half ago from Dixie Gun Works (not it's not a muzzleloader).

It has half round/half octogon 23 inch barrel with full length rib and 1 standing/1 folding sights. It started in 8x57, but the old .318 bore. rifling was not in great shape, so I had Cliff LaBounty rebore it to 358. Original plan was for 9x57, but Cliff found the headspace was bad, so he took it to 35 Whelen.

It came with a chip out of the schnabel foreend and the buttstock. Ray graciously fixed the chips very skillfully, with some hard to match wood. Thanks again, Ray.

Last weekend I had it out and shocked myself with a 50 yard group under an inch with the open sights. It's hard to get used to the front bead covering the entire orange target dot! Only trouble is its shooting about 6 inches high at 50 (I was aiming at the target below the one you see).

The gun is very trim and light, and the sights line up perfectly as I shoulder the rifle. Couldn't be happier with the old gun. Bob

-

OK, here's another picture of the action. On the oval on the left side of the action is marked "2,75g GBP/N St.mG" When I first got the gun, Alf and others translated the proof marks for me. 2.75 grains of powder and a steel jacketed bullet. Under the action, all #'s match and barrel is stamped as Krupp steel. The proof marks according to Alf indicated that the gun may have been originally chambered in 7x57, so it must have had a previous rebore to 8x57.

Bob

[ 06-01-2003, 21:59: Message edited by: bobc ]

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I always shoot my iron sighted rifles with the target dot or target for that matter resting/sitting on the top or above (however you want to look at it)the front bead or blade. It makes it alot easier to aim at for me and I can always see the target. It also will help with it shooting high and then at 100-150 yards you may be in the ballpark.

Very nice rig.

RJS

[ 05-30-2003, 21:15: Message edited by: RJS ]

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with RJS, I was taught to "lollipop" with iron sights so you could always see the target.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
bobc

Very nice rifle. Can we get a pic of the entire barrel? I ownder how this one have escaped the old Ray sinking his thangs in it [Big Grin]

I would have gone for annother caliber than 35, but that's just me [Big Grin] [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can add a picture of the barrel and sights. Ray only got to see the wood, not the barreled action.

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BobC,
You need to get a higher front sight and lower the point of impact, a good gunsmith can mathamatically figure which one..It should be on or only a couple of inches high at 50 depending on your style...I want mine smack dab on the money at 50 so I don't shoot over Leos head in the heat of battle.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see an old Mauser sporter restored to it's original shape. Can we see some pics of that receiver ring? What markings are on it?

Enjoy,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I added a picure and some of the markings. Bob

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
I added a picure and some of the markings. Bob

Bobc

What about a close up on the barrel. Does it have a milled in rib or quarter rib?

Show us [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan, I'll see if I can take a picture with the digital that will show the rib. It's a full length milled rib. Front sight ramp is integral, a fine piece of metal work. Bob