New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Daly LH Mauser Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering buying (when available) a Stainless LH Charles Daly action to build a 6.5x55 Swede. I am curious how good of a starting platform this will be for me. What type of stock options do I have for it being LH? I have always wanted a lightweight 6.5x55 just because.

Would I be better off getting a Ruger, Remington, or Winchester rifle just for the action? Remember I am left handed so my options and availabilty are quite limited. Since I haven't been able to handle one yet I am curious what some of you who have handled them or worked with them thing.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
In that price range I'd opt for an MRC action. You couldn't pay me to use the CD.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I think the quality has improved since they first began production. I'd go with the CD action, especially since you are left handed, after all, there is nothing like a Mauser. I know it's not a genuine Mauser, but it's the closest thing a left handed shooter can get without spending a fortune. For the price, if you aren't happy with it, sell it. A decent Gunsmith will clean it up a bit anyway when you have the barrel installed.

Or, are you buying a barreled action? Haven't visited the website for awhile.

If it was me, I'd probably go for the Winchester action though. You can get one of the Winchester Customs in the 6.5 x 55 Swede for only 3000.00 beer

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.a...type_id=901&cat=001C

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I have a CD action built into a 458 Win and it's been a pretty decent rifle. The only problem I had with it required some touchup on the feed rails, took about 15 minutes with a dremel tool and now it feeds superbly. I've got a JRS laminate stock from Boyds on mine which has held up very well although I'm not sure if they have left handed. Their web site is http://www.boydboys.com/ .

Price wise, well, you should be able to buy a complete CD Mauser rifle for less than an MRC action alone. When mine was built a couple of years ago the CD actions could be had for $225-250 wholesale, not sure what you can get them for now. Not sure why some people are so down on the CD's but they are made by Zastava in Yugoslavia and are very good for the money.

Having said that, none of them ae going to be perfect for a high end custom rifle. Mine was built as a working rifle with a KG Gunkote finish so I really didn't need a finely polished action. Any of them you buy will want some polishing before you put a really nice blueing job on them.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when are the SS action available

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
In that price range I'd opt for an MRC action. You couldn't pay me to use the CD.

Do you care to elaborate on that a little. I am trying to learn more about them. Is an MRC action worth the cost of a new Winchester M70 rifle? The Short Action stainless action is $520 and I can get a M70 for about that.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Sure, the way I see it it's worth the extra few $$ not to have to go through the hassle of truing up a current production rifle. So far, the MRC's are still coimg out true with all holes drilled where they should be and straight. Can't say that for the M70 or 700 and certainly not the CD. I suppose if you already have one of these then truing it up makes economic sense but not if you are buying one new then planning on rebarreling.

JMHO though as I'm sure others will disagree.

Me, I prefer to convert Military Mausers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me, I prefer to convert Military Mausers

But that doesn't work for someone who shoots left-handed does it z1r. So, if Buzz wants a Mauser style action, he either spends gobs of money, or buys the Charles Daly. I think with some clean-up, if needed, it will be fine. May not need any, those who have posted recently about them have been very happy.

You are the only one that I can think of off hand, that had a less than desirable experience with one. I know you stated the warranty is not the best, or at least that was your experience.

Shoot, for the price, I'd buy 2 and sell the one I didn't want.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
"Shoot, for the price, I'd buy 2 and sell the one I didn't want."

You will probably have to. I have three stripped receivers on hand and was just looking at a buddy'd a few days ago, of the four only one was D&T'd correctly. My buddy is another who is not happy, as well as at least two others that post on this board. Believe me, I am not the only one unhappy with the CD products.

Perhaps, I'm not satisfied because I know what to look for? There are a host of other reasons, like for example the bolt bores being off center. The bolt face having slope to it. But I suppose these are simply details to be overlooked. If I was a leftie I would not waste my $$$ on a CD action if I planned to BUILD a rifle. If I just wanted something to buy and scope then they probably aren't that much worse than most of the other mass produced rifles at that price point.

As for the left hand bit, yes, a Milsurp action is not the best for that but then that is why I recommended the MRC in the first place.

If someone is going to go through the trouble of BUILDING a rifle why start with a substandard action? Seems like a waste to me. Buy the best action you can afford.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
z1r, Have you found that the CD actions are measurably worse than the older interarms mark x actions? I thought the new Charles Dalys were supposed to be the retooled and supposedly better made / newer version of that same action.
I always thought the mark x actions had a pretty good reputation.

Thanks,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote