New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger for Interarms Mark X Mauser Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new in the box Interarms Mark X action, with magnum bolt face. I've had this action for years. I ran across it the other day and noticed for whatever reason I must have robbed the trigger for another project. Its been so many years I don't recall what I did. In the box was a new bold trigger that will not fit, must be for a M98.

My questions is, will a Timney FN98 Trigger fit a Interarms Mark X. Seems like I recall it will not but I may be wrong.

Comments please.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should, can't see any reason why not

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; any 98 trigger will work. A MK X is just a 98 Mauser. If a Bold trigger won't fit then it is not for a 98. What is preventing it from working?
Sometimes the sear slot is not big enough, so if that is it, file it out.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember now what the problem is. It wasn't the trigger didn't fit. Took me a while to jog my 64 year old memory.

The problem is not the Trigger didn't fit, the bold trigger works, but will not work with the 3 pos. safety.

About 15 years back, either I did or Tom Griffin put a three postion safety on this Mark X action. I was going to build a 375 H&H which I never did. I bought a 416 Rem. barreled action off Harry Tate that didnt have a trigger. Tom swapped that barrel out and we made a 458 Lott. I took the trigger off the Mark X action and put it on the Lott if I recall.

Pretty sure the 3 Pos. safety worked with the original trigger. When I get around to building something on this action. Whoever screws a barrel on this Mark x action can deal with the tirgger and safety LOL.

Digging around looking for a trigger. I found a 300 H&H barreled action Tom Grffin did for me. Really nice Whitworth Mauser action with straight bolt handle, 3 pos safety and it didnt have a trigger.

When we built this new house about 4 years back, boxed all my gun stuff up and can't find anything. I bet I have triggers in a box somewhere.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There could be a lot of different things going on here but I don't think the safety could have anything to do with trigger

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your 3 position safety did not work because they have to be individually fitted; they are never just drop in like the trigger is.
You have to grind the cocking piece to allow the safety to pull it back; it is not for the timid. But not hard.
Yes the safety has nothing to do with the trigger. Except the obvious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks for the response.

One last question, if I can ask it correctly. Can one trigger hold the cocking piece further back than another, not letting the lever swing. Reason I ask, I seem to recall this safety working but it’s been so many years I may be mistaken.

I’ve ground cocking pieces to fit Safties before but not something I do all the time and it’s been many years past since I’ve done one.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, the relationship between the cocking piece and safety lever should not change.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, definitely, different triggers/sears and their positions on the receiver (sear pin) can hold the cocking piece in a different position. There is relatively lots of tolerance build up in the system, that only a few thou will make it so.
JK must not have had his coffee yet because he knows this. My advantage is that I don't drink it so my brain is cloudy all the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, definitely, different triggers/sears and their positions on the receiver (sear pin) can hold the cocking piece in a different position. There is relatively lots of tolerance build up in the system, that only a few thou will make it so.
JK must not have had his coffee yet because he knows this. My advantage is that I don't drink it so my brain is cloudy all the time.

I believe I still stand by my original statement; the relationship between the safety lever and cocking piece don't change, the trigger can change that!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, a trigger establishes the relationship between the former two parts. They can't stand alone, without a trigger (sear) to make a system, there is no possible relationship between the cocking piece and safety. They just float around. Remove your trigger and the system is broken and can't possible have any relationship, good or bad. Ok, maybe put the safety in the mid position and them they have a relationship; a moot one. Put a trigger in the equation, (and put the safety into the fire position) and that then forms a three piece system, all of which must be in harmony to work. And different triggers can form different relationships, for sure.
Only with a safety that acts only on the trigger can you be assured that the cocking piece and safety interface don't matter. But we are talking a three position Model 70 type. I've fitted a ton of them and fixed many Model 70 ones.