New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squaring the Butt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working on an excellent semi inlet stock for an original Winchester 52. Extra wood was left on the butt end and I thought it would be an easy matter to run it through the table saw to cut it off...

The saw is level. The blade is square to the table and very sharp. I am maintaining the pitch angle as inlet. But clearly my first cut was not square to the bore line. The sides of the butt slope in toward the grip so laying the level on the butt doesn't seem to be doing the trick...

How can I re-square the butt to the bore line???

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DeBee - click on "search" at top of this page, type "recoil pad" in the box. There's a long thread on R/C pad installation and stock shortening. I believe you'll find your answer.

[ 11-22-2003, 02:50: Message edited by: Gimpy ]

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a 12" round sandpaper disc in 80grit and paste it to a flat 3/4" plywood or flat surface. Tape a line on the stock to determine your buttstock's end. Lay the plywood on the floor and drag the stocks butt across the sandaper disc. In short time it will be trued up if you pay attention to how you hold the stock and drag it towards you.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote