Duplicator Finally done!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:

Does it do a plunge cut(vertical)?

I saw the vacuum setup on Dressels Dakota and they had run a 3" PVC pipe the full length of the vee bottom and then cut slots in it along the way. Just another thought. It may be a standard thing with those and you may just have a better mousetrap already with the open pipe at the one end.

It will plunge vertical and tilt front and back to match the angle of the inlet, grip cap etc...

I bought a 5 horse Clearview cyclone to suck up the dust. Stuart Satterlee told me to try the same style of slit down the middle dust collection. Pretty good ideas. I made my first cardboard & duct tape chip pan and hood to see where the dust is going. The thing I really like about not having the slit down the middle is if you drop a stylus or cutter it doesn't end up going through the dust collector. When I decide a design of chip pan and dust hood, I'll replace the cardboard with masonite or aluminum.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

Thanks for the tips on setting up and checking brand X duplicators. I hope to make room for the duplicator in the near future and fire it up.

Butch I'll send you an email.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

What would you suggest to a guy who wants to have his own pattern made?

What I mean is, say a guy likes a certain pattern and would like to have that pattern duplicated onto a pattern stock that he could then use over and over to glass bed different actions into so that he got the closest possible inletting.

Would you suggest some sort of a laminated blank or some sort of a plastic blank. What I am getting at is something thats tough enough to withstand repeated trips to the duplicating machine and something that doesn't warp or lose its shape after many times of having something blass bedded into it.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'm using 4/4 cherry and gluing it together
for my patterns. I plan on using my patterns for years. If you're looking for something that's guaranteed never to warp, then I'm probably not going to want to put it in my duplicator. I don't plan on using plastic or metal for my patterns. If you use something like that then it will flex differently than a wood pattern when you mount it in the machine between centers. There is no perfect answer here. Even with the best duplicating, you can't remove the talent required to inlet, shape and finish it correctly. I'm not interested in producing drop in stocks. These are over inlet and don't produce a custom quality product when finished. They do serve a purpose, but I'm not interested in competing with Boyds.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not talking about a Boyds quality stock. Hence the reason why I said that the pattern stock would have to be able to stand being re-glass bedded over and over again to match the particular action being stocked.

What type of glue do you use for the cherry to laminate.

And does glass bedding (accurglass) work better than auto body putty?

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Auto body putty while cheap and fast drying can cause problems on a pattern stock. Primarily it will tend to break off or chip at the worst possible moment. Soaking it with thin super glue helps prevent this.

Glass works better. However this does not mean you have to use accraglass. There are other less expensive epoxies out there that dry just as hard and work very well for glassing pattern stocks. Just my .02 worth.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

What type of glue do you use for the cherry to laminate.

And does glass bedding (accurglass) work better than auto body putty?

elmers wood glue. It's not going to be exposed to the elements.

bondo SUCKS to duplicate. While it works much better with an exoskeleton like Bill posted above, it still just case hardened poop. I won't machine off a bondo inlet ever again. There's a hundred different epoxies out there that are cheaper than acraglass. I would suggest you find one you can buy cheap and local. Check for repair packages in the hardware or boat section.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker:

For those of us who would like to use your duplicating services, do you have pictures of your patterns that you could post here, along with the actions that they are inletted for?

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Dave
Since I've recently finished my duplicator my stable of patterns is VERY limited. The stock I show pictures of here are a TI-MEX. Mexican length with Standard 98 style tang. I'm going to run another pattern stock of this and glass in my un-butchered Mexican. Next stock with this outside shape will be a large ring 98. I've also have a short mag Dak76 stock that is unshaped and just off the CNC(back in 92) With this I'll make patterns for Winchesters. I've built many of my stocks from a blank when I wasn't working for someone who had a duplicator. Now that I've finished mine I'll build patterns for customer stocks as I build them. I've got some Minix projects coming up and a Kemmen sporting clays shotgun.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else ever used Poplar for a pattern. It's readily available and works well.

My Griffin/Fraser was done in Poplar. I may try it, for the first time, for the Mini-Mauser which is on it's way back from Wind River this week.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Work!

Questions-

Will you work with laminated woods?

Could you build me a Sako 75 stock set up for a Sako TRG-42 action/trigger/magazine?

(I can supply the Sako 75 and TRG-42)

Thank you for your consideration.
Scott.

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Most impressed with your duplicator. The inletting is so cleanly cut. I can imagine it only needs a scrape fit. I have developed my own patterns on the classic style sporting rifle. I am most interested in you duplicating one off stocks from glassed in patterns that I would provide.

How much oversize of my pattern do you need to set up on your duplicator, assuming the blank is 60mm thick - 3mm top and bottom or 6mm top and bottom? Most of my English Walnut blanks are very hard and dense, heavier and denser than what you are used to - you do not need filler for the grain. A few coats of stock finish is all that is required to fill the grain.

I have one of your bottom metal for a mini MK10. Would you modify a three positional safety for this one? I have four of these
mini MK10's to build. I require three more bottom metal and four safety's. The mini bolts are hopeless the way they come from the factory. They don't cam properly and they are too small in size. The actions need a lot of cleaning up.

Can you provide your phone number so I can give you a call.

Kindest Regards,
Roger Vardy

TEL: +61 3 57 562 411
FAX: +61 3 57 562 179
EMAIL: ravardy@bigpond.com
& www.rogervardystockblanks.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you finally finished it.

Can I still set my beer on it?
beer

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
Glad to see you finally finished it.

Can I still set my beer on it?
beer

As long as you bring a few spares!

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
SH & Roger
PM sent

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,
David Christman can verify that what Roger Vardy says about his walnut is true. I was unable to trade back for my mini mauser and traded the bottom metal that you made me for a nice piece of wood.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have I ever NOT brought a few spares?
beer

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote