Notify
Tools

Question on bedding?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted
Ordering a new stock for my 30.06
It is a Richards microfit and is going to run me around $160. Here is the deal, i thought perhaps i would also have the action bedded and the smith i talked to wants $170 to pillar bed it. That puts me at $330 which is about what i paid for the gun 15 years ago. Is bedding necessary, will it make a big difference, and is that price reasonable? How hard is it to do it myself. Not sure i want to invest that much cash into an older gun, although it is my favorite rifle. It is a Savage 110E. It used to shoot pretty good and now it is shooting bad. I think the Leupold scope is faulty so i am sending it back. But i also want to up the stock a little. Opinions? Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, the stock will have to be bedded one way or another. Your decisionis to whether it will be done in glass or by hand in the wood. If your gunsmith is capable of doing a good job of hand fitting this stock then it can work out quite well (depending on the quality of the wood). In most cases though, glass bedding is probably the best option.
The 110 is relatively easy to bed either way and the cost would likely be similar either way. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input, going to get the stock and go from there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've bedded two M110's and believe me, you could bed one for the price of a package of Brownells Acra-glas gel. Just follow the instructions like they are scripture.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
thanks, i am nervous since i have never done it before. Did it make a difference? One thing i have noticed is that as my gun gets hot after a couple shots, my groups start to rise. Not sure why, the barrel is free floated all the way. Hoping my new Richards stock will be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2 110's I bedded had both developed cracks in the wood under the bolt handle on the side of the stock(they are both left-hand actions in .270 Win and .30-06)so I bedded them in an attempt to stop the cracking, stabilize the stock and improve accuacy.

I bedded the rear tang, the area around the recoil lug and about 2" of the barrel ahead of the receiver. The remainder of the barrel was free floated. I also injected epoxy into the cracks from the inside. In both cases the cracking stopped and the rifles shoot very well. The .270 Win is capable of 3/4" groups all day long.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote