THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any opinions about the SHEPHERD scopes??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi.
I've seen a lot of advertising about the Shepherd scopes. But I havent had the opertunity to see it yet.
Does anybody have anything (good or bad) to say about them. I havent desided what kind of scope I will put on my Win.pre'64 SS, in cal.338 RUM, yet. I'm leaning towards the Leupold. [Cool]
My first alarming observation was the narrow eye-relief (3-3,5") thats gonna hurt I think?? [Eek!]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shepherd scop on my Anschutz .22. It works as advertised, the optics are good, I think they are good scopes based on my limited experiance with them. However, for putting on something with as much recoil as a 338 RUM, I would be looking for all the eye relief I coud get, and would probably weigh all my choices with that in mind. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello 460Wby,

I have a P2 and a 22lr Shepherd, but the 22lr is off for repair (I bumped the Objective and the tube bent). Been shooting the P2 for about 7 years, probably six years on the 2lr.

Originally I had the P2 on a 338WM. Couldn't mount it forward enough and added a 1/2" spacer between the buttstock and the recoil pad. I eventually removed it from the 338 and put it on a M77 MkII 30-06, where it works very well shooting 165 NBTs at around 2750 (IIRC). Seems to hold zero, and the trajectory is very easy to figure out and use. Test fire prior to hunting season always yields three shots right on (so far).

Really like the rimfire version, and wish it was back from repair. They did offer me a "loaner", but I didn't have anything really pressing, so I declined. I occasionally shoot rimfire silhouette, hold the 50 yard crosshair dead on the chickens and pigs, put the 100 yard croshair on the feet of the turkeys and the top of the back on the Rams. No fooling around with the elevation knob.

One-shot zero works, and I also use the second crosshair to "save" my zero when I move the main crosshair for specific conditions. Optics are acceptable, I've never missed an opportunity to shoot during legal shooting hours because the scope was too dim.

So far so good, they definitely have their place!

If there's anything else that I didn't cover, please let me know.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I have one Shepherd scope.It was defective.They replaced it immediately.No questions asked.It would not hold zero.They confirmed that by phone upon examining the scope.They are good scopes.You need to have the rifle in a very steady rest,to zero in.It has a four knob adjustment system.Once zero'd in,it is a fine scope.Would I buy another one.NO.The intricacies are not worth the effort.There are many other scopes on the market,that I would prefer.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
You either love them or you hate them, there's no inbetween. I do like mine, but others find the retical system to be confusing to them.
The front retical is the "ranging ring" unit and changes size with the power setting (it is adjusted with the front knobs) the "crosshair" stays the same sixe with power changes and is adjusted with the rear knobs.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 of them and plan on buying another this coming year.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote