THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

milling machines for do it yourself stuff??
 Login/Join

<lns>
posted
Dont know if this topik belongs here,i figure the do it yourself types may hang around on this board so here it goes:
Anybody with any experiense with the milling machines like the ones at Harbour freight in the 300-600$$ price range?.
What should i look for?
are they better than plain drill presses?
what about presicion, will these 2 work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36739
i am looking at this one but frankly speaking dont know jack.
i want for it for small things that recouire presicion it`s for hoby at home not for a shop
Thanks.

[ 02-02-2003, 06:38: Message edited by: lns ]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
What precision things are you looking to do? For $300 - $600.00, don't expect too much in the way of performance. This machine might work fine for small jobs machining plastics or aluminum.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Compared to the lathe, the mill is seldom used for paying gunsmith jobs, but the mill is the king of making gun parts from scratch.

In oder to make parts, real volume of steel must turn into chips. On a small machine, the lack of stiffness would cause the project to take a long time.

I can turn steel into chips with my 600 pound Rockwell knee mill at the rate of one pound of chips per hour. Alluminum is faster, and wood is not limited by the size of my machine.

[ 02-02-2003, 08:49: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
The lathe is the only machine capable of reproducing it's self...

<lns>
posted
i am not even an amateur machinist.All i want is to be able to drill a darn hole exactly where i need it, with the drill press always something will move around.The bit will wander around(even if you use a center punch)the chuck head has a small play the vise will move etc.I figure a mill machine,even a cheap one could be alot better.
[Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ins,

You need a jig bore. I suggest the Moore made in Newington, CT. Just kidding. To start a hole right use the prick punch then a small drill then the final drill.

There are vises made for drill presses that will hold the work.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Ins,

I'm sorry, I though you were wanting to do some milling. This machine should be fine for precisely placing holes within it's range. Aside from needing a good vise, you will want to get yourself a good dial indicator and magnetic base so that you can precisely move the table and the piece you are drilling, the exact distance needed in either direction.

You should also get yourself some center drills #1-#3 to use for starting the holes in exactly the spot you need them.

Keep in mind, aside from the machine, the quality of the finished hole is dependent on the rigidity of the drill bit, the material and the feed.

Before you spend the bucks, goto <http://www.jettools.com/JETMetal/Tools/JMD15.html> and look at their table mounted machines. I know a fellow who builds revolver cylinders with one of these and a dividing head, and does a great job doing it. Can't ask for more precision than that.

Good luck,

Malm