New
Find
Notify
Tools

MUZZLE BRAKE MAINTENANCE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a M70 Win. Stainless Classic in .375 H&H AI. It has a muzzle Brake and I need to know if the threads should be greased, left dry or use an anti-seisure grease.

Thanx in advance----Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually use a very small amount of anti-seize or lithium grease. That said, I've removed many brakes and have never found one that had an issue because of dry threads.

Posts: 595 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Remove muzzle brake.
Install thread protector.
Discard brake.
Maintenance complete.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Moe
I was about to say most general muzzle brake maintenance can be taken care of with a hack saw, flat file and a crowning tool.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just say moe:
Remove muzzle brake.
Install thread protector.
Discard brake.
Maintenance complete.

+1 popcorn

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a coupla Vias stainless steel muzzle brakes, .25 cal and .30 cal.; they came with a small steel rod to help tweak them on/off.

They do accumulate alot of discharge in the ports - I put them in the dishwasher when Mrs. Gerry isn't looking then scrub the ports with the apppropriate caliber cleaning brush.

I usually dab (little) lube on the threads, too but then again I muscle them on with the rod(s) pretty snug to ensure they don't work loose.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting muzzle braked rifles since 1992. All I have ever done is remove the brake from the barrel, wipe the interior and threads of the brake with a rag or patch wet with solvent. Wipe it dry and apply a coat of oil with a rag or patch wet with oil. I wipe off the exterior barrel threads with solvent, then dry and oil as well. I haven't had them seize or work loose on any of the five rifles I've had with muzzle brakes. I remove them each time I clean the rifles.

Lately, when using Wipeout, I place the muzzle brake in a ziplock sandwich bag and slide the bag over the muzzle of the rifle. When I apply the Wipeout through the cleaning rod bore guide, the extra foam goes out the barrel, into the sandwich bag and coats the muzzle brake. Then, I just wipe the brake out and wipe down the barrel threads with an oil impregnated rag. That's been workin okay so far.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the replies guys !

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I tell my customers that the brakes that I make are self cleaning. Just fire a couple of shots through it and it will blow out all of the excessive carbon. I make them, I can say whatever I want. I have never seen one carbon up to the point where it would affect the way they work. So, I must be one hell of an engineer and I have never heard another outfit make a claim like that. It would probably be even better if I could say it with a straight face. But I'm sort of funny that way.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

I like what you did there.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean Speerchucker. In my all of 72 years I was only wrong once------I THOUGHT I WAS WRONG BUT I WASN'T!

Hip