Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebony Forend tip on a CZ550?
 Login/Join

posted
My CZ550 American came with a very plain stock and I don't think the factory finish does it any favours either.

I therefore intend to re finish the stock, and was thinking about fitting an ebony forend tip at the same time for a more traditional look so to speak.

I know roughly how to fix this in place, but will it look right on the American stock?? I guess I am worried that I'll need to alter the stock profile in the forend for the forend tip to "look right"???

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've remodeled the factory stocks on several CZs. Take a rasp and sanding block and straighten out the humpback, round the action area and forend, open the grip, add a Decelerator pad, ebony tip, steel grip cap and glass bed. All this you can do pretty easily yourself. If you're like me, you'll need someone else to recut the checkering.
Here's my ZKK-601 223, factory stock, began life as a Weatherby-style "deluxe" version (rollover cheekpiece, white spacers, 45 degree rosewood tip, triangular forend, etc.). My gunsmith has it and hopefully is recheckering:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006,

I always like seeing pics of your ZKK's, that had pretty nice wood on it.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks schromf, yes this one had better wood than most. I had a 270 ZKK-600 that had truly exhibition walnut, but most are fairly plain.

JudgeG has a CZ550 that was very nicely remodeled by Roger Ferrell of Fayetteville, GA (770-460-0533).

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

I've had another look at the stock on my 550, and I suspect as its the so called American style, the forend will be too thin to look right with a tip on it..

I could shorten the forend somewhat and then rechecker, but the plainess of the walnut does not rely justify that amount of work..

That really is a lovely job you've done on that rifle; I just wish mine had wood half as nicely figured..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not mind doing that to all my cz's but $$ is the limiting factor. I think if I changed stocks on my cz's they would all get McMillan Destert camo stocks !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am in th emiddle of doing 3 CZ stocks right now. The first one is a 452 American and is just about done. It has very nice wood. The second is a 527 American 223 that has incredible tiger striped wood with black streaking. The 3rd is a 550 Amerian in 7x57. It also has very nice tiger stripe but I am not sure to what extent yet since I havent stripped it yet. CZ uses a nasty tinted spray on finish that hides any grain and figure the stock may have. It is a real shame they dont use a better finish.

Like you I too am worried about putting an ebony tip on my 550 with its very thin fore-end. I would really like to add a tip and cap to this rifle but it just might not be an option on the 550 American stock. Hopefully someone has some pics of a 550 that they have reworked to share.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
I have been considering adding an ebony tip to my cz .458 lott with the American stock. I would like to know if anyone has pictures as well.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote