New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding Problem Help Mauser 98 in .458 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I chambered this rifle when I was in GS school in NC. Then it kind of got tucked away for a few years. Now it is in a stock and almost ready to go, just one small problem: It won't feed from the magazine straight into the chamber. The round on the right side wants to hit the barrel face at 11 o'clock, the rounds on the left side go almost straight but not quite into the chamber. If you pause in the bolt throw the cases will pop up under the extractor and feed into the chamber.

Obviously I am unsure as to what needs to be relieved, smoothed, or opened up. I would almost rather have someone else fix these feeding problems but there is noone in this area that I would trust to do it. I am also wondering if I need one of those "Short Magnum" followers like Midway sells.

So there is the problem, any advice, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoneEagle:
I chambered this rifle when I was in GS school in NC. Then it kind of got tucked away for a few years. Now it is in a stock and almost ready to go, just one small problem: It won't feed from the magazine straight into the chamber. The round on the right side wants to hit the barrel face at 11 o'clock, the rounds on the left side go almost straight but not quite into the chamber. If you pause in the bolt throw the cases will pop up under the extractor and feed into the chamber.

Obviously I am unsure as to what needs to be relieved, smoothed, or opened up. I would almost rather have someone else fix these feeding problems but there is noone in this area that I would trust to do it. I am also wondering if I need one of those "Short Magnum" followers like Midway sells.

So there is the problem, any advice, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sean

Are the rails and ramp smooth/polished? It would be better to send it to a smith who is familliar with 458WM/ Mauser feeding alterations than risk trashing the action [Wink] Good Luck!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LoneEagle: I am not a gun smith, but I have read a little about the M98. As far as I remember from my readings, the M98 action has to be tuned to the cartridge. There is an excellent article on this subject in the September 2002 issue of Rifle No. 203. The article, titled "The Great 98," was written by John Barsness, and appears in page 26.

I imagine you could buy a back issue from Wolf Publishing, or maybe you can write to John Barsness and ask for opinions about your problems with the rifle.

The following is a portion of the article:
"Easy chambering depends on the precise angles of the "feed rails" on either side of the magazine opening," and the ramp at the front of the magazine."

There are a great number of details on the "feeding" failures, including the ones you are experiencing, but since the article has copyrights I can't post it here, nor make copies of it.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Lone Eagle---

I've been trying to figure out a way to tell you what needs done without having to write most of a chapter.......but I can't.

There are two kinds of M-98 Mauser feed rails……straight and bowed. Tell me which one you have and I’ll write it up.

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Belk, between the 2 Mauser feed rail types. What do you recommend for different cartridges?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Maybe in answering this question you can give some pointers as to what is required to get the 8x68 case working in a straight railed receiver?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
GSF 1200--

The straight rail actions (usually early DWMs) are a slam dunk for a rimless .473 cartridge with a "normal" shoulder. They're cut at a very precise angle that's unique enough to remember if you don't mind mixing measuring systems. The rails taper one millimeter per inch per side.

What's easier to remember is that the center-line of the cartridges intersects at the front tang screw.....whose center-line also intersects the butt of the barrel. So when a cartridge is at rest in a straight rail M-98 designed for it, the center-line of the cartridge is already aimed at the center of the chamber in one plane. All that remains is to lift it far enough upward to hit the middle of the chamber.

The M-98 is an ELEGANT design and operates better than anything else ever designed as long as an elegant cartridge is used in it. As with any rule, there're exceptions to it. The Mannlichers and the Krags can match and even beat the M-98 in feeding some cartridges on a good day. [Smile]

Bowed rail Mausers, which are much more common, are MUCH tougher to make feed *like they're supposed to*. They use the rail to *aim* the cartridge to the center-line of the action after the cartridge starts moving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Belk, I have the straight rails. The action is an Orberndorf Mauser. Thank you, Sean

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sounds to me like it is a problem with bothe the rails and the extractor needing some TLC

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope noone minds if I am self serving and send this back up top. Sean