New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baldor buffer question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Baldor makes two buffers, one is 1,800 rpms and the other is 3,600 rpms. Which is to be prefered for general gun shop use?

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the gunsmithing trade, but we use a buffer quite alot in our shop. It is a 3phase double ended buffer with a 1.25" shaft, and we use 14, and 16" wheels on it. It turns at 1750, I believe. If you multiply the RPM times the circumference of the wheel, it will give you a surface feet per minute speed. Let me tell you that if I was buffing small parts on a 6 or an 8 inch wheel, I'd want the slower speed. You can always go to a tighter weave wheel for better cut, and different abrasives, rather than more speed. This would be for polishing, not stock removal. I'm buffing along the circumference of a solid 1.5-2" diameter shafting, and if I go too deep, it will pull it right into the machine, and up against the safety stops we built onto it. The faster it spins, with a bigger wheel, the harder it will be to work with small parts. Think safety first. Hope this helps. Ken

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I use one that I built, not that I wouldnt like to have the Baldor but way over priced to me.

I built mine using a 1 1/2 hp motor, belt and double ended mandrel. Runs at around 1800 rpm.

The mandrel does make more noise than using a buffer with out, but I can live with the 100.00 price and pocket the rest that I saved

My opinion is, more power and less rpm.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Ditto to all of the above.

Another problem with the speed is getting the polishing compound to stick.

Here's another fly in the ointment. Since I purchased a belt grinder (12 years ago) I rarely use my buffer. Belts are available in so many grits and backings. Not to mention the fact that you can also purchase felt and leather belts.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RPM depends on the wheel size. Rule of thumb is "mile a minute" for buffing most materials.....that means a 6 inch wheel at 3450 or a ten inch at 1725.

Having said that--my buffer only puts the "shine" on chisel edges and an occasional watch crystal. Very seldom gun parts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, 1,800 rpm it will be. I will keep a couple of wire wheels on it, but some buffing wheels to use if and when needed.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charger

I dont claim to have the most expertise here, but my advice is based on the following experience.

I have worked in a commercial gun shop that blued a lot of guns, we did both hand polish for the most discriminating customers and powered buffer for the average gun fancier and priced accordingly.

I have had a part time, licensed, gun shop for 25 years and full time for 5 years. I dont blue every week but I do blue quite a few guns on a regular basis.

I got a lot of my instruction and training from a local gunsmith who blues a very large number of guns on a regular basis for the last 25 years. His polishing is done on a Baldor buffer with good (and expensive) felt polishing wheels. His work rivals what you would see on a vintage Smith and Wesson or Colt revolver.

All three, the big commercial shop, my instructor and mentor, and myself all use a 3/4 HP Baldor buffer at 1725 rpm with 8 inch wheels.

It takes a minimum of 3/4 horsepower to drive 8 inch or larger wheels, if you use a 1/2 horsepower motor you will have to drop back to 6 inch wheels at 3450 rpm. Like the other posters mentioned, its all about surface speed. Also if you use 6 inch wheels, the motor will always be in the way.

A very good referance on this subject is in Brownells Gunsmith Kinks I. They cover motors, buffers, wheel types and sizes, abrasives, and actuall polishing techniques. Believe me there is a lot to it and it takes quite a bit of practice to become proficient and skilled enough to not wreck something in short order. Good polishing abrasives on felt wheels will actually make sparks in the courser grits, they will cut grooves, wash out screw holes, round off sharp edges, make wavy barrel surfaces and all manner of gunsmith nightmares if you dont have proper instruction and experience under your belt.

I recomend learning to draw file and hand polish first, then carefully ease into polishing with power equipment after thoroughly reading up on the subject.

Good Luck

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Great post Craftsman. I agree.