New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reasonable synthetic stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to put a synthetis stock on my Ruger 77 mk II ss .338, but I don't want to spend $400+
McMillins & Browns seem to be going for that much and more. Any suggestions on a less expensive stock, or where I can get a deal ?

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
GIVE THESE GUYS A TRY
THEY MAKE A GREAT STOCK. I HAVE 2 OF THEM. HIGH TEC
WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

[ 02-01-2003, 13:30: Message edited by: bluetick ]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda:
I would like to put a synthetis stock on my Ruger 77 mk II ss .338, but I don't want to spend $400+
McMillins & Browns seem to be going for that much and more. Any suggestions on a less expensive stock, or where I can get a deal ?

H.S. precision will get you into a sporter stock for about $275.00. They have good delivery times also.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda:

I put a HOGUE overmolded stock on my MK-II .338 [Big Grin] . The aluminum bedding block makes for a DROP IN FIT and the rubber outer skin makes it QUIET [Big Grin] in the bush!! Best $120.00 stock I have seen [Big Grin]

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Anaconda,

Ramline makes cheap stocks for the MkII's as well. They are somewhat noisy should you slip and hit one on a rock, but at night when you and your friends are singing around the campfire, you can play the butt end like a bongo drum. [Big Grin]

Actually, they are not a bad stock for what you pay. They are damned near indestructible and have a life time warranty against any breakage. These used to come with Decelerator pads installed. Pack the back end with foam, bed, float and take it hunting.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Ruger and see how much they will sell you a stock for.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll cast my vote for the Bansner hi-tech. This is a very nice conventional fibreglas/foam stock. I'm not sure if he makes one for the ruger. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anaconda,

This may not be what you had in mind but I have one of the old Ruger synthetic stocks. It came off a MKII SS 338 so your rifle should drop right in. They're not pretty but they're very functional and this one is cheap. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I'll cast my vote for the Bansner hi-tech. This is a very nice conventional fibreglas/foam stock. I'm not sure if he makes one for the ruger. Regards, Bill.

Bill beat me to the punch! (unfortunately, I do not know if Bansner makes the stock for Rugers either).

I have both McMillan and Bansner High Tech Specialties. Both seem equally rigid (and both are great in this respect!).

I like the shape of the High Tech's pistol grip area a bit better, but both are excellent.

The biggest difference is that the McMillan weighs about 36 oz and the High Tech about 20 oz. I'm building a (light!) .358 Norma Magnum with the light High Tech Specialties stock.

I am sure that it will stand up to the recoil, but I'm not sure I will! I will let you know in a few months...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote