New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser - Year of manufacture?
 Login/Join

<K9>
posted
I walked in to the local gundealer the other day and as I entered his office I took a look at the pile of guns standing there waiting for destruction. Among them was an Oberndorf Mauser in 9,3x62. It had been owned by a man who recently died and his family saw no value what so ever in it�!!!!! It was in a well used but not miss used condition (scratched stock � no marks on the metal except for well worn blueing). It had never had a scope on it so the owner had only used open sights. I was wondering if anyone in here had an idea about how to determine the year of manufacture of it?

The serial number is 110 XXX and it is a rather plain rifle with a round barrel (ca 60 cm) with a barrel mounted sling swivel and a three leaf sight. The receiver is round and the floor plate release is located inside the trigger guard. The action has a thumb cut and is stamped �Mauserwerke Oberndorf� if I remember correctly. The rifle would look almost like new if it had some stockwork done (refinishing is all it takes), a new buttplate (missing) and maybe a reblueing.

It looks as It will be mine for the nice little sum of 500 Swedish crowns (ca $48)���.

Cheers
K9

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
It appears to be the end of 1931. I hope that you save this rifle.
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Want to sell it at a huge profit??

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
Ray
Sorry Ray , but that ain�t gone happen!!!!!!!(I should have guessed this was coming .. )
I had to walk out on another deal on a similar rifle (somewhat fancier) earlier this year due to a shortage of funds and have kicked my a$$ ever since . Since I�m totally addicted to 9.3x62 as a caliber the chambering couldn�t be more right!!! And the price is definitely within my reach�

Bill
Thanks! My guess was something like the second part of the thirties so it seems I wasn�t to far off!
As for saving the rifle, yes I will! BUT, as this is Sweden and we�re only allowed 6 guns for hunting I most probably will mount a scope on it after restoration. An original Mauser mount would have been great but a claw mount would serve as well I think.

Well, the deal is on so now I just have to wait for the police to give a license for it!

Cheers

K9