New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short barrel 22-250?
 Login/Join

<DLS>
posted
OK heres my dilema, I have a Rem 700 VLS in .223 win, 1 in 12 twist , 26" Hvy Barrel. I am thinking of having this rifle rechambered to 22-250 and 2-4" cut off the barrel. I don't like the weight of this rifle, and thought that taking off a few inches would make this a tolerable weight for a walkaround preditor/varmint rifle.

Does anyone find this really stupid? [Big Grin]
I believe Rem's Model seven comes with a 20" tube. What would you all reccomend for a barrel length?

posted Hide Post
You can either switch over to the synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding block and leave the barrel alone, or cut the barrel back to 24" and hollow out the buttstock a bit.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Win. used to make a 22in./22-250, my nephew has one and likes it fine. Both of my 22-250s have 23in. barrels. The guns are used mostly for coyote calling and I like the ease of handling and balance. These are both very light contour barrels. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
This year I sold my Model 7 .223 and Rem 700 22-250 to make a short barreled calling/carry rifle for predator hunting. I had Hill Country Rifles build one on a Model 7 action with a 20" #4 contour Lilja barrel with a 1-12 twist on an HS Precision stock. For me, this is the perfect mix of weight and balance.

Bob
 -

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I have a target rifle that has a couple of 22-250 Ack. Imp. barrels for it. The Ack Imp. case holds about 4 grains more than the parent case, but because of the powder I use, the extra space is wasted. Both barrels are 1-8 twist for shooting 69 to 80 grain bullets. One barrel is 27" lg. and the other started at 24" lg. but was shortened to 21" a couple of months back.
If you are really interested in the performance difference send me an e-mail and I will give you the velocity information on all three barrel lengths for the heavy bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob in TX - I like that rifle - assume its a 22-250?

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete in Idaho:
Win. used to make a 22in./22-250, my nephew has one and likes it fine. Both of my 22-250s have 23in. barrels. The guns are used mostly for coyote calling and I like the ease of handling and balance. These are both very light contour barrels.

Pete, I like the way you think!

I've been contemplating a light bbl'd 23" 22-250. I've had a couple with 22" tubes and a couple with 24" tubes... 23" seems "right" for the kind of "walk-around-varminting" I like to do. I got just under 3,700 fps with 55 grainer's in the 22" bbl. It's noisy, but heck, a 24" bbl'd 22-250 is noisy as well.

Brad