New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling or reboring a Mod. & SS ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a Ruger 77 rebarreled to .358 with a shilen bbl., it shot great but I was disappointed with the bbl.conture it wasn't even close to the shape of the factory bbl. The smith said it was the smallest conture shilen made. A call to shilen confiremed this. Now I'm thinking of trying it again with the model 7 but I want a factory conture like on my BLR81 or standard bbl like was on the rugar. How do I get a barrel like this ? or could the ss bbl be rebored ? It looks a little thin for reboring. Or do any of you guys have a standard bbl threded for a model 7 that could be installed and rebored ? Appreciate some help on this. Thanks

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a CM shilen barrel in 358. it is chambered for 350 mag. that would be a fun one in the 7. it is threaded with no bluing. number 4 or 5 contour. 25" i believe. might be willing to part with it.
let me know
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While shilen might just stick to certain contours, there are other barrel makers that will make custom contours or duplicate your factory contour. Hart and Pac-Nor come to mind as ones that will. Both of these have in house gunsmithing that will fit the barrel to your action as well. I'd call them, I'll bet one of them will do what you're wanting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington used to make the mod 7 in 35 remington [custom shop] you might be able to get a bbl from them and have it rechambered. You might also try K&P bbls in Raton NM. I think they will match the factory contour.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you find a gunsmith with a little more capability. If I have a customer that wants an existing contour matched or a special contour made I just take a blank of his choice and make it. This era of precontoured barrels and prechambered barrels seems to have allowed people to a assume the name of gunsmith when they are not.

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The recontouring of a barrel is an operation which should certainly not be beyond the capability of any real gunsmith. There are too many 'smiths today who are just fine as long as they are rebarreling a Remington 700 and screwing it into a drop in stock. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
These people can help you. Talk to either Dan or Tim, they can get you set with the conture you want and the barrel will most likely be the best one in your cabinet. [Smile]

http://www.rifle-barrels.com/

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote