New
Find
Notify
Tools

rebore or?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what is the thoughts of reboring/rechambering opposed to rebarreling? I've a .30-06 and will get the work done this winter to up the horsepower to the .338-06caliber. I was quoted around 240 bucks for the rebore/chamber. Is there enough barrel to warrant this type of work?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reboring isn't cheap, and the results are iffy sometimes, I hear. A rebarrel means you get to choose the barrel maker. Some are cheaper than others, but ehy all will have bored the tube before selling it (and tossed the ones that didn't make it.)
Price them both out. I'd rebarrel before reboring, unless your barrel is something specuial to you: octagon with irons you can't find anymore, e.g.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're really attached to the profile (or something else) of your existing barrel, I'd go for a rebarrel. You should be able to get a profile that will closely match your existing barrel and if your barrel is in halfway decent shape you can probably get $50 or so for it on Ebay or elsewhere.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And even if you have a cherry stock you want to keep and you do love the profile you could have the new barrel profiled to match for just a little more cash.
I think rebarrel is the way to go.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

What action are you talking about?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reboring isn't cheap, and the results are iffy sometimes, I hear.

reboring/rerifling/rechambering can and usually does produce results as good as a new barrel, and sometimes at a cost more reasonable than a new barrel. In addition, a rebored barrel often turns out to be even more accurate than it was prior to being rebored. Of course, the quality depends on who does the job, but this is also true of a new barrel.

I've had a Mod. 1886 Winchester in .33 Win. rebored to .45/70, and a Mod. 71 rebored/rechambered to .450 Alaskan from .348 Win. Both turned out very accurate, but the company,the A & M Rifle Co. of Prescott AZ is no longer in business. Too bad. They did great work.

I'd rebore before rebarreling unless you're in a hurry, since most GOOD rebore people have a LONG WAITING LIST!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is that doing a rebore on your existing tube will obviously remove some tube so the rifle will handle differently than b4.

Just a thought.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
One thing to keep in mind is that doing a rebore on your existing tube will obviously remove some tube so the rifle will handle differently than b4.

Just a thought.

MD

The external dimensions of my two Winchester barrels that were rebored were not altered in any way, and this includes the length. Both front & rear sights were exactly the same distance from the face of the receiver as they had always been.......

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about a rebore is that it is a "familiar face" when complete. If you have a rifle which has been an old friend, and which you just want to "freshen" up a bit (or convert to something for which new brass is more easily available), or just want more flexibility or power from, I'd personally probably go with the re-bore.

Over the years, I've had three fairly close friends , now all deceased, who commonly did re-bores. All three felt that a properly re-bored/re-chambered rifle barrel was often more accurate than a tube made from a new blank. They all said they suspected that perhaps the repeated firing over the years had relieved some of the stresses in the original barrel(s). I don't know if they were right or not, but I DO know their re-bored barrels shot well. One of these gentlemen was Paul Marquart (the "M" in the old A&M barrel company. His barrels, new or re-bored, were about as good as you're ever gonna see.

Another was Al Petersen of Riverhurst, Saskatchewan who re-bored/rechambered my .30-06 Buhmiller Springfield to .358 Norma Mag...and it was probably the most accurate Magnum rifle I have ever owned.

Ward Koozer was the third, and he made several .32-20's, etc. for me out of older, smaller-bore tubes. His chambers were not "jewels", but his bores sure were, and all the rifles he did for me shot excellently.

So, based on my past experiences with three different good craftsmen, I would have no fear at all of having a competent barrel-smith re-bore a tube for me in the future.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Grizz,

What action are you talking about?
Ruger MK II-Stand.long,nothing fancy at all but a good companion with many successful hunts. Wife liked it so much I changed out the trigger to a Timney. The existing stock is the Zytel again nothing fancy but by God this is a good rifle! In regards to the rebore/rechambering my error, Dan Pederson mentioned a 265 dollar service for that and he mentioned as some here, a 6 month wait. He's somewhere in the Southern Desert of America-Arizona, New Mex. abouts. Any of you experienced any fine results from this gentleman? Tis good to know that the rebore has no stress factors that bear on accuracy as an issue. Makes sense to me. Appreciate you knowledge and input.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is the same Dan Pederson I am thinking about, I seem to recall that he is located in Central Arizona (Prescott), and has an absolutely outstanding reputation as a barrel-maker...matter of fact, I think he is recommended by Dave Scovill, Editor of "Rifle" magazine and "Handloader", if I recall correctly...which, of course, as I age I may not....

Edited to correct Mr.Scovill's name to "Dave"...between my recent surgery, the familiarity of both Dave Scovill (who is from the same town here as my current home is nearest to...Glide, Oregon), and Al Miller, also of Rifle & Handloader editorial staff, I've been having a little trouble getting names straight the last few days. Sorry, Dave, if you're reading this.......

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Alberta Cannuck!

Either they have installed internet service in Heaven (or that other place Smiler), or your surgery went well!

Did you get my PM?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick - Am alive and doing (doing well, I hope) for the nonce. AR keeps telling me I have a message from you, but when I go there to read it, it tells me it has no record of any message. Did I ever tell you I HATE software? Have sent you a forward of a message I posted to my own web-forum, explaining whole current situation. Hope you get it. Thanks very much for your morale-boosting support. Really, really, appreciate it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
If it is the same Dan Pederson I am thinking about, I seem to recall that he is located in Central Arizona (Prescott), and has an absolutely outstanding reputation as a barrel-maker...matter of fact, I think he is recommended by Al Scovill, Editor of "Rifle" magazine and "Handloader", if I recall correctly...which, of course, as I age I may not....
thanks Alberta Canuck, that is right pleasing to know-yes I do recall in Arizona. I only e-mailed him and mentioned after moose season I shall mail him the rifle. Sounds positive! take care

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is the gun will balance a bit differently because you'll have less metal in the tube walls.

I happen to be kind of a fanatic about weighht in the tube that is why I point this out.

Make sense now?

Thx

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
The external dimensions of my two Winchester barrels that were rebored were not altered in any way, and this includes the length. Both front & rear sights were exactly the same distance from the face of the receiver as they had always been.......[/QUOTE]

If you had your barrel re-bored you removed weight from it and consequently changed it's handling characteristics whether or not the outside dimensions remained the same. In either re-bore you mentioned you lightened them up substantially.
Atkinson & Marquardt are no longer here in Prescott but Danny Pedersen of Classic Rifle and Barrel Works is here and can be reached at
http://www.cutrifle.com Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just remember that more than a few new barrels are technically “re-bores.â€

When manufacturing a new barrel that doesn’t quite come out to spec in the bore/rifling they don’t just toss it in the trash, they rebore it and go to the next higher caliber...so I don’t see how this would be any different than reboring a used barrel.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I anxiously await the forthcoming event. This topic has given quite the insight and thanks fellas for the help.I will be sending it down to Prescott-D. Pederson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to do some thinking on this Scovill chambering Canuck mentioned. If that is the case with D.Pederson then I can assume he would still have the reamer? I contacted him once and do not want to make a conversation with him as surely he is swamped. I am enquiring about .375Scovill. I believe from past readings his first sample went to Alaska and he gave over his .375Scovill to Alaskan Guide "Stevenson" if my memory serves me right.Come on gentlemen, any thoughts, buying a barrel is not the problem-this rebore has me kinda stumped and curious. thanks

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
My point is the gun will balance a bit differently because you'll have less metal in the tube walls.

I happen to be kind of a fanatic about weighht in the tube that is why I point this out.

Make sense now?

Thx

MD

Yes. As a matter f fact, after I re-read your post, it dawned on me that you were probably talking about metal being removed from the INSIDE of the barrel....

Sometimes I'm a little slow-sometimes more than others.....