Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rings and bases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have a problem with my scope moving in the rings. It has done it with two different scopes.I am going to change rings and bases. In your opinion which are the best holding under recoil.The rifle is a mod 70 Win in 338-06.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Leupold rings and bases on my 338 with no problem.

If you scope is slipping, you may not have removed all the lube of the scope or the rings.

You might also lay a little piece of plastic electrical tape on bottom half of the ring, this helps give it some added friction.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
With a good brand of rings and bases you must not have any problem....I also recomend some plastic electrical tape around the scope where the ring is.

Good luck
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If ya dont mind a whole lot of ugly. Clear nail polish, lok-tite, and super glue in the inside of rings will hold a scope no problems. But the problem is make sure you want the scope to stay there if you use super glue.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I swear by weavers especially with the steel bases--been using them for 30yrs and never had a scope move--and i dont think they look that bad either

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had Millet rings and bases (steel). I removed all the lube with solvent both times. Switched to torx screws and switched scopes. I still have a couple of nice gouges in both scope tubes. Thanks for the ideas.I have Leupold on my other rifles and have never had a problem.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Kind of pricey, but CONETROLs hold like grim death.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if they were appropriately tight, it sounds more like the rings were bored a tad too large inside as the 338-06 isn't that bad.

as to strong rings, Talley and Warne vertical split rings are super strong but if you have to have the absolute tightest and strongest set going,.....Badger Ordnance tacticals or IOR tacticals.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
My favorites are Warne Premier but unfortunately they dont make the Premier rings any longer. They do stil make the bases so if you are lucky enough to come across a set you can readily mount them on your rifle. Second behind that would be Talley. Both brands are very well made and hold like a vise. But thy are a little pricey.

Here is a pic of the Warne Premiers:

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Badger Ordnance, Farrel, smith enterprises, night force and D.D. Ross make the strongest and best mounts.................but there for heavy barrelled guns and don't look that great on a hunting gun in some peoples opinion.

So a Badger zero cant base and a set of badger maximised rings would hold your scope no worries.

Other than that Talley or Warnes.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what PC said. I have a pair of Badger USMC SASR 50cal rings on order with the steel base drilled for 8x40 screws. if my scope moves on the receiver its only cause the receiver blew up. Yes, definately not aesthetically pleasing, but isnt that just like mil stuff, functional, but ugly as heck sometimes(Browning M2 excluded).

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW those Badgers are expensive, the best price I have seen is 160 at snipercountry.com compared to 214 everywhere else.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the way the Badgers and IOR tactical rings look, but then again I always liked 3/4ton trucks and industrial tools too gunsmile

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote