Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
I disassembled my sons 30 win mag (synthetic stock and stainless action) to clean from very dusty henting outing and apparently broke a glued connection between the stock and action when I took the action off. There is a lug forward of the front action screw that is glued in. Any advice on need to reglue, if so what compound to use? It would be nice not to bother considering cleaning needs in the future but if it is important for accuracy or whatever maybe I should reglue. Any ideas?

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a synthetic model 70 apart...so this is nothing more than a somewhat educated wild assed guess!

It sounds like Winchester uses a steel plate as reinforcement for the recoil lug area of the synthetic stock. If I‘m correct in my wild ass guess I would “re-glue†it with epoxy bedding material the same way you would bed the recoil lug area on a regular stock.

If my wild ass guess is incorrect...then never mind! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
The "glue" is what Winchester uses as bedding, same as their wooden stock. I have both a synthetic and wooden stocked Winchester and both have the same stuff. The lug is just molded in that "glue" for bedding at the factory. Just put it back together and everything should fit perfectly, no need to reglue.

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys.

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote