Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

left hand safety
 Login/Join

posted
I want to convert my Remington 870 Wingmaster 28 ga. and my Remington SPS-T 20 ga. to left hand safties. So far I have not been able to find the safties or trigger assemblies. Any suggestions other than learn to live with it. Thanks.

Brown dogs rule!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington quit making left-handed safety buttons years ago, hence your difficulty in locating them. PA Gun Parts had a few left-handed safety buttons a few years ago, but were only selling them to valid FFL holders. I have one somewhere in my gun room that I will gladly part with for $10 if interested.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it will fit either one of my 870's that I mentioned in my post, I will gladly take it off your hands. Thanks

Brown dogs rule!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dixiejack:
If it will fit either one of my 870's that I mentioned in my post, I will gladly take it off your hands. Thanks
They're supposed to fit nearly every Sportsman 58, 1100, 870, Model 760, 740, 742, etc. Give me a couple of days to search for it.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to Reming tech, left hand safties will not interchange after 1997 models. Both of mine are '03 and '04 models. It won't work on either one of my 870's. Sorry for your trouble.

Brown dogs rule!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

You probably already know this, but Remington does make a left-handed trigger group. It fits in a right-handed gun and has a left-handed button. That's what I've got on my 870.

Remington will sell them direct to you for $90. That's MSRP, and they can't cut you a deal.

Your dealer can. A couple years back, dealer price was on the order of $45. Someone was nice to me for some reason, and that's what I paid for mine. Maybe more now. It's nosy to ask such things, and Remington probably wouldn't tell me any way.

My point is that for some perhaps small amount over the current dealer price, you can probably get the LH trigger group.

As a bonus to getting the whole darn trigger group, many of the parts in there will interchange (and some won't). If something doesn't work with absolute slickness, now you will have nearly two sets of parts to make you a very slick running gun. Maybe.

Here is another idea.

Buy one left handed trigger group. Take your original right-handed group out, and confidently tear that safety apart(doesn't much matter if you can't get it together now, eh?). See how it works, and figure out how to get a left handed button made for it (I have never gotten this far, by the way). Have a gunsmith or a machine shop make you a left handed button to drop in the trigger group of the gun you didn't buy a trigger group for.

I don't know how much he'll charge for that. Maybe you get it apart and find out it's a do-it-yourself deal. I made a left-handed safety button for my Ruger 10/22 (using the existing RH button), and it works just fine.

H. C.

BTW, 1-800-243-9700, then 4, then 2 if you don't want to sit through the menus.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
Remington will sell them direct to you for $90. That's MSRP, and they can't cut you a deal.

Your dealer can. A couple years back, dealer price was on the order of $45. Someone was nice to me for some reason, and that's what I paid for mine. Maybe more now. It's nosy to ask such things, and Remington probably wouldn't tell me any way.

My point is that for some perhaps small amount over the current dealer price, you can probably get the LH trigger group.
If he can get the dealer discount through Brownell's (which they seem to give away any more), they sell the trigger groups for a little over $60.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Brown dogs rule!

posted Hide Post
The williams sight co. use to sell them,i don,t think they still do,but some older gunsmiths might have some in their stock. vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote