Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Conversion
 Login/Join

posted
I made a previous post elsewhere and it should have gone here. I have purchased a Remington SPR 22 30-06 side by side rifle. My question is;
Can the barrels be re-chambered to either 30-30 Winchester (1st choice) or 30-40 Krag. I have read elsewhere the chamber can be plugged and then re-chambered but understand that has proven unsucessful in the past. Given that the 30-06 is longer than either of my choices, is this a viable task? I know I could shoot reduced loads in the gun however I would prefer a rimmed cartridge. Thanks in advance

wcf

Posts: 2 | Location: cusseta georgia | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no no no

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To expand a bit, this "plugging" and rechambering is done and successful only in very low pressure cartridges. Black powder pressures. The "fastening" --welding, brazing, etc.-- will only stand those pressures. Higher pressures like the .30/30 and things tend to "come apart."

I assume you understand that you cannot "rechamber" that is cut a smaller chamber into an already larger chamber/hole. .30/06 is bigger.

The Europeans are fond of rimmed cartridges. I believe there are a couple of correct body diameter and long enough (63mm as I recall) to allow you to have a rimmed .30/'06. I think Hornadymight be handling brass for one. 9.3x73 R something. All you need cut is a relief in the chamber for this new rim and it should not affect use of .30/'06 ammo at all. Now the extractor/ejector is another consideration. It might no longer work well with the rimless. Just takes money. luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello wcf890:

Ditto on what butchloc said. You may wish to check out the 30R Blaser. It's slightly larger, in every dimension except bullet, than the 30-06. It was designed to do just what you intend--clean up '06 chambers in break-open guns and offer similar ballistics.

Brass and ammunition are available, I believe, from Huntington. Not cheap, but available.

Best regards,

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not just load the '06 down to 30-30 or so velocity?.
i have an SPR18 in 30-06, and it does a good job of remining me it's 6 lb. gun!, so i just load it down with 130 gr. speers or hornadies and it shoots good enough to be a freezer filler.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote