Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I would be grateful if anyone knows, and can recommend, someone who can properly fit a set of ivory grips to a Colt SAA revolver.

They are a rough fit now, and some steel will need to be removed from the grip frame to make them fit properly.

Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul Persinger is a master with Ivory.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will get in touch with him.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had no luck reaching Mr. Persinger.

I would appreciate any further recommendations.

Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK....Here's a thought. Modify the frame to make the grips fit.? I was taught to always work on the cheapest part first.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
With the price of ivory now, the steel is the cheapest part. Grip frame, not the revolver frame.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nutmeg Sports used to be the go to for custom ivory grips. They did most of the grips for Colt's custom orders. They no longer can legally sell ivory grips unless you are a resident of their state, but I think they can fit ivory grips that you provide. Might be worth a call.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the ivory grips be worth the same amount of money with a few grams less weight? Removing metal from a Colt frame doesn't sound like a good idea. The word molested comes to mind and may reduce the value.
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
OK....Here's a thought. Modify the frame to make the grips fit.? I was taught to always work on the cheapest part first.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact ACGG member Robert Rowen. He is a master with pistol grips. www.rowencustomgrips.com. 703-795-9894.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe Turnbull might be able to help. I also agree with the position of NOT modifying the frame if you can. Years down the road it will definitely hurt the value for your heir’s

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I had Nutmeg put one piece ivories on my SAA just before the stupid ban went into effect. They did a magnificent job in a timely manner. I would call them and see what they say.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not all that hard to do, give it a try, just scrape them to fit. shave both Ivory and frame if its a minor amount..Ive done many colts back in the day when Ivory was still cheap, mostly one piece Ivory grips for single actions..None of them fitted perfectly then or now.

I still have a set on my Texas Ranger grandfathers colt, He would roll over in his grave if he knew I put the Iory on his gun. He prefered the almost worn smooth Guta Percha grips he had on it from the factory and years of carry..He told me once the rangers would not approve in those days, that fancy stuff came later..I still have the gutta perchas of course...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The frame will need to be trimmed a bit, not so much that one could even tell, but some.

These are beautiful two-piece ivories, with Colt escutcheons.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Dustin Linebaugh . He's shaping up to be a highly regarded custom revolver maker and grip maker.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always bought Ivory grips just tad oversize with a frame tracing then shaved them to fit with a sharp pocket knife and polish with a felt wheel for the perfect fit..I personally would not trim the frame on a very collectable colt single action unless you intend never to sell it..thats butchery..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the further helpful suggestions. I will definitely follow up on them.

Mike