New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthening Magazine on Ruger M77 .284
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an early Ruger M77 in .284 Win. The magazine limits the C.O.L. to 2.875 inches. It would be nice if it could be lengthened to 3.00 inches.

Have anyone heard of this being done? It seems it would just involve some grinding on the ramp and cutting the magazine box in two and brazing in a filler piece.

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Allen you can lengthen the receiver of your 284. Unscrew the barrel & it will screw right on to a Win M70 action. Of course the headspace has to be adjusted. Allen forget it. Sell the gun. buy a Remington 700 or Winchester M-70. Then a you will be $$$$'s ahead.

P. S. a Jap Arisaka barrel also threads right on to a Colt Saur. Hm... a Colt Saur in 6.5 Jap! Now that would be one of a kind!

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-30-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to do this the way you suggested. I've never done it on a Ruger, but I have on short action Remingtons, and I can't imagine the process would be much differant. I would try to gain as much space from the rear of the magazine before I went cutting the ramp, though. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Yeah, if you cut the lenglth of the ramp down bullets may tend to drag on it before they elevate enough to clear it as they come free from the rails.