Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying VZ 24 mag box for .458 AR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Am working on a .458 AR based on a Parker-Hale Mauser in 7mm Rem Mag. The barreled action did not have any bottom metal with it. I bought a milled VZ 24 bottom. It arrived today.

Box is just a hair short. Can I cut away the front of the box and tig a new front plate on the mag box. Looks like I'd pick up 0.050" or so if I did that. The box would end up short at the bottom where the slot for the cover sits. Thought I'd taper that back toward the top of the mag well.

There appears to be enough room in the el cheapo stock to allow this to be done.

Also looks like the ramp into the chamber will have to have its slope change a little too ... removing just a smidge at the back bottom to match the line of the new mag well front.

Have done a fair amount of pistol work but little on rifles. Have a full sized mill with a DRP and a good lathe. Know how to go slow.

Is this a rational plan for making the mag well into somthing that can be used for this project?

Thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
That's how I opened up the box on my VZ-24 458 lott.

The bigger problem is the width of the box, or rather lack their of. If you really want it to feed slick, you should cut the sides off the box and widen it. The large dia cases stack in much to straight in the military boxes. Also the box tapers too much, so the case stack changes at the front of the box where they pile up on eachother.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time I did it a little differently. This time I welded on a thicker chunk of steel before I cut the factory box. Then I milled the inside of the box to the length I wanted with a long 1/4" carbide end mill. Milled through the factory front and into the chunk of steel. I welded before cutting the box because I wanted to see how it worked. WHen I cut a box I was worried about the sides squeezing in at the top or something, and then I would lose the original geometry. Did not have to worry about it this way.

Not saying it is the best way or even how I will do it next time. It is just a different way to skin a cat that I threw out there for you to think about.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I would think Mark's idea would be a good way or simply brazing. Welding on the extension is tough due to the tight space and many curves in the front of the box. Of course brazing the many pieces with them all coming "unglued" is fun too.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote