New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. M700, 7mm Rem. Mag into a 7mm STW?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it just a matter of rechambering or is barrel set back and/or magazine/feeding work involved?

Any other issues?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had this done years ago. My lefthand 700 had an absolute minimum factory chamber so my smith did only a simple rechambering job. The rifle shoots exceptionally well.
If you have a looser chamber, your smith might want to set the barrel back one thread to ensure a cleaned up chamber.
After using this rifle and a regular 7mmRem Mag, I'm slowly convinced that the 7RM is fine. If I really did want more performance, I'd go to the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag. Most of the 7STW performance came from overpressured loads by its "developer." Loaded to equal pressures, the actual difference isn't that great.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So if I read you correctly, not that much of a difference?

My rifle is a very early original 7mmRM, 1962 I believe, blued stainless steel barrel. All original, should probably leave it alone I guess.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
My rifle is a very early original 7mmRM, 1962 I believe, blued stainless steel barrel. All original, should probably leave it alone I guess.

Thanks, Rob

Go ahead and relax, I don't think that rifle is in any danger of becoming valuable any time soon. Big Grin It's a hunting rifle and if you want a flatter shooting 7mm without any major expenses, that is certainly an option. While I don't shoot one myself, I do the conversions, and to date, I've heard nothing but praise for the cartridge from those who have had the conversion done.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not any problem with the conversion. As to the cartridge, there is a small difference, just not enough now to keep me enthused. Go ahead, though, because a difference is still a difference.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote