New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on obtaining FFL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As an engraver and considering taking a swing at manufacturing, I obviously need to look into obtaining an FFL before going any further.

All I know is I need to obtain the appropriate forms from the ATF. Is there any information I should know going in that will save time and headaches?

I appreciate any help,
Thanks!!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was very straight forward. Unless you live in the country, you will need to be a business that your little town approves. I live in the country and had no problem and that was 4 years ago.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch,

Just noticed you live in Poetry!! I used to live there too,....five years ago off Four Post Lane about 1/2 mile down 968 from the store. I had the first house on the right. I loved it there, but met the perfect woman and move east a little. I live just North of Longview now.

Small world

Thanks again

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are in the area, look me up. papawlambert@starband.net I live on FM1565 halfway between 986 and 276.
On the FFL, I just filled out the forms and sent them in. I was visited by an agent, who was a very nice person. The license came soon after.
By the way, you have some nice wares on your website.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found ATF agents to be very professional and polite to a person. The help lines and emails they provide get you very quick results. Just be hoenst and after you get it don't do anything "grey." I don't know about you, but I am WAY too little to go to jail! I would never make it in there.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mostly, you must comply with local and state laws before you can get a FFL...that means a resale license, business license and the availability is all dictated by local ordinances..i.e. you must comply with all local mandates before even applying or the FFL...at least that has been my experience in WI, WY, WA and CA. Living in the County can't hurt...just one layer you don't have to contend with...have fun!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So should I get in touch with the local law enforcement office that has jurisdiction? Tried looking up Texas state mandates but wasn't able to find anything conclusive.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
I went to the Hunt County Sheriff's Dept. and after looking at the paper work found it it wasn't necessary. Just get your package from BATF and fill it out. Get your fingerprint card. Go to the county courthouse if you haven't and register your company name. A resale license is needed in this state if you sell merchandise in this state. I think at this time gunsmith labor is still not taxable, just products that you sell. The resale license is not necessary though to get your FFL.
As Duane and Marc have said, it is easy if you do it by the book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchlambert ; Are you in a commercial store or can you work from your residence , or does it depend on zoning laws in Texas ?. Curious is all .

Kommyfornia requires a commercial store front business , NO residence FFL any more !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My shop is at my house. I do live in the country and comply with the local rules. I have a friend with a retail gunshop that can't move it to his house because of the zoning in his city. They allow no home business in his city. I believe BATF will allow home shops if it is allowed by local law. It did in my case.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch for the prompt reply .

I'm now curious if this is only a Kommyfornia or Kommyfornia county by county thing ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote