New
Find
Notify
Tools

locktite or epoxy on a scope base???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never used it, but have seen scope bases installed with epoxy on the bottom of the base....sort of like bedding the base.....just wondering if this is a wise practice on something with serious recoil???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
I slather my bases up with epoxy and then install the screws with red Loc-Tite. A good bit of epoxy oozes into the screw holes and I don't bother to clean it out. My aim is for the bases to last a lifetime or even longer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is doable, but I see little reason for it, if one cleans his screw and holes with acetone or what ever then the screws will seize plenty tight and knowing how to set a screw helps a lot..I also hand fit my bases or have them hand fitted..A little locktite on the screws them selves is OK if it makes you feel better..If I was going that far I'd use accraglas and really set them in there...

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I clean the bottom's of the scope bases and the base screw holes with acetone or alcohol and mount everything in JB Weld... screws included. It'll never comes lose that way... I do this for everything from 223 Rem on up. This gives you the solid mounting assurance of the Ruger M77. To remove, kiss with a torch or soldering iron.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used steel filled epoxy and cardboard shims at the corners to level up some Weaver bases on a FN military action that had been ground. Used a wax release agent and the job was perfect. I also know my bases have 100% contact with the receiver. Been hunting with it for 3 years and they are still rock solid.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have seen a requirement for epoxy in a few applications, for example, when putting a scope on a .454 Casull revolver using only two scope mount rings. I also had to epoxy the forend cap and receiver sight onto a 7 pound .450 Alaskan built on an M 71 Winchester. The forend broke the forend bracket out of its barrel slot, and the rear sight would bounce loose in five or six rounds. But, I generally DO use BLUE Loctite when mounting scopes. I like to be able to remove a scope if the need arises, and you certainly have a lifetime installation if you use epoxy on the screws!!

[ 04-20-2003, 17:57: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have finally reached the age where I can tell myself "it's my gun, and I can do with it what I want". Along the way, I reassured myself that I could use epoxy or red Loctite to mount scope bases, and I could get those little 6-48 screws out any time I wanted to; with a #28 drill. Then tap the holes for 8-40 screws.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I've never used either and never seen a need to. If the mounts fit right and the screws are torqued right they don't come loose.

I did shoot a whole summer with a Targetspot on bases that were epoxied on the barrel with no screws...that worked good. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Epoxy the bases and screws to the action? I would recommend it on any rifle with non-integral bases. It is fool proof. Not just glass bedded to the receiver, but fully bonded, screws and bases.

I started off converting the 6x48 screws to 8x40 screws on most kickers. Then degreased and used blue Locktite.

Now I routinely epoxy the bases and screws with JB Weld. It removes easily with a torch, as stated above, but this is rarely necessary.

Lately I have been doing this at any chance I get, as with epoxy, the 6x48 screw is good enough, but I like to epoxy the 8x40's too.

I also would recommend integral bases like on the Ruger, CZ, BRNO, but I do hate those Sako dovetails, only because decent rings are hard to find. Optilocks? Ha Ha.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote