Find
Notify
Tools

Hart barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted
How are the quality of Hart rifle barrels theese days? There have been ups and downs for this company over the years, as with many other barrel makers, but are they ok now?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hart is right at the top of the heap of US barrel makers these days (Hart, Krieger, Shilen, Lilja etc). They are one of the more common barrels seen in BR competitions.

Read what 6mmBR.com has to say about a selection of top barrel makers.

Each smith or each shooter may have different opinions about different barrels, and all barrel makers make a dud from time to time. But the chance of getting a bad barrel from one of the top dogs is pretty small.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add Gary Schneider to that list also. David Tubb uses Gary’s barrels...and the Marine Corps has (and perhaps still does) use Gary’s barrels on their sniper rifles.

I use them, and in addition to the accuracy, they are about the cleanest shooting barrels I have ever used.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hart barrel on my M40 sniper rifle and cannot say anything bad about it. It shoots well and is very easy to clean. At the time my M40 was built, only the Hart barrel was used.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
I have a Hart barrel on my M40 sniper rifle and cannot say anything bad about it. It shoots well and is very easy to clean. At the time my M40 was built, only the Hart barrel was used.

Gary

Gary,

Hart makes a great barrel and they, along with Atkins, Schneider, and I believe Kreiger, have all made barrels for the gang at Quantico at one time or another. Gary Schneider has a much smaller operation that do some of the bigger companies so might not be able to fill the needs of the Corps at times. Needless to say, whatever barrel gets put on at Quantico is going to be the very best that is available.

Semper Fi, from an old grunt!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard some complaints recently, but can not substantiate them. I have a 308 tactical rig which was at one time a hunter class benchrest rifle done by Seely Masker with a Hart 1:12 21" tube. It is a lazer on paper and cleans up easy.

I would have a hard time finding one barrel by the top manufacturers to be any better than the rest. I have PacNor, hart, schneider, LW, etc. When they are done right,..they are just plain great things to have,.....I love match grade barrels.

I beleive the M24 SWS used some Mike Rock 5R barrels recently didn't it Rick? They are getting a great review for the past several years as well.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everybody!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustC:
I have heard some complaints recently, but can not substantiate them. I have a 308 tactical rig which was at one time a hunter class benchrest rifle done by Seely Masker with a Hart 1:12 21" tube. It is a lazer on paper and cleans up easy.

I would have a hard time finding one barrel by the top manufacturers to be any better than the rest. I have PacNor, hart, schneider, LW, etc. When they are done right,..they are just plain great things to have,.....I love match grade barrels.

I beleive the M24 SWS used some Mike Rock 5R barrels recently didn't it Rick? They are getting a great review for the past several years as well.

Another great barrel maker! I’ve heard nothing but good things about Rock barrels...and I think GA Precision uses them allot on the long range rifles. I use Schneider and Shilin barrels but wouldn’t feel the least bit leery of trying out any of the others mentioned so far.

I’m not all that familiar with the Army’s M24 system, but last I heard they were totally made by Remington’s custom shop using Remington barrels...but I have no first hand knowledge of that other than things I have read in magazines.

one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe it was a predecessor that used them?,..as you already know, the net is somewhat unrelieable. I thought it was an alternative to the 5R set-up of the obermeyers which dried up with the "man" as he slowed up.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can’t keep up with the Army since they change weapons systems almost as fast as they do headgear. Smiler What is it will all these damned Beret’s anyway???? They all look like a bunch of girl scouts, or French painters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah,..give me a "boonie" any day and I'm happy.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional