New
Find
Notify
Tools

What twist rate for 375-06 barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to order a PacNor barrel for my Savage 110 rifle in 375-06. They have several twists available. I wil be shooting 260 grain bullets in this barrel.

375 (.375")
3 groove 12" 15"
5 groove 8" 12"
6 groove 10" 14" 15" 18"

Which would be the best to use? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always like a twist on the fast side for a hunting rifle. So 1-12" would be my choice.

A friend picked up a Mauser barreled to 375/06 Improved. There is a more postitive shoulder with that one.

I have too many wildcats. One is now too many having been there. There is a cartridge called the .376 Steyr or whatever that's sort of standard. I understand that the bolt face can be easily changed on a Savage to the magnum size. Why not get some brass and make up some dummy rounds and see how they feed.

When he made up the loads for his .375 AI and it did not look too hot over the Oehler.

Steyr Scout

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ranb40,

A gentleman named Greenhill came up with a formula to determine the proper amount of twist required to stabilize a rifle bullet clear back in the late 1800’s...and the military still uses it.

Measure the length of the projectile you plan to use in inches and divide that by the caliber of the bullet in inches. Then divide 150 by your answer... and then multiply that answer by the caliber again and your rounded off answer will be the twist required to stabilize that particular bullet.

You can find the formula in Hatcher’s Notebook.

How in the f**ck he ever figured that out is beyond me...but it’s lasted a long time.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Use the 15 twist barrel. You will be able to shoot cast bullets with amazing accuracy. You can over twist a jacketed BR bullet because they are more concentric making them less RPM sensitive. Lead bullets have imbedded air pockets, however minor, and depending on where they are can cause havoc. With more pockets towards the bullet's circumference, the more the bullet will wobble. Higher the RPM, the faultier the accuracy. Cast bullets can shoot an inch at a hundred at 2400 fps using a fairly well crafted gun. A BR style gun can do two or three times that accuracy. But then, that gun will be no fun to carry for hunting. ... felix, from the cast boolit section

felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote